Best Breakfast Oat Recipes: Oatmeal Pancake Recipe Scandinavian Style
Another Way To Get Your Oatmeal
At first, I did not like the sounds of an oatmeal pancake to be honest. But once I pushed hot sticky oatmeal out of my head and just decided to give them a try, I discovered a whole new breakfast option.
Oatmeal pancakes from Scandinavia were traditionally served with lingonberry preserves and sour cream or with applesauce. However, today they are served with any variety of syrups, fruit and maple, applesauce or any fruit sauce, or just topped with some steamed apples (or like fruit).
Try these for a different pancake - I will add another recipe that I have found equally delicious though the second recipe is a bit moister.
SCANDINAVIAN OAT PANCAKE RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (12-14 pancakes)
- 1 egg - or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats (though I've used regular)
- 1/4 cup milk (for thinner pancakes add 2-4 tablespoons milk)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Beat egg with mixer until fluffy.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly spray cooking griddle or large skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat the griddle. Griddle is ready when sprinkled drops of water skitter around and quickly evaporate - then it is 'just right'.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of batter per pancake from tip of large spoon or pitcher onto the hot griddle per pancake.
- Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges.
- Turn and cook other side until golden.
This is one of the recipes from my 30-year-old Betty Crocker International Cookbook! This is one of my favorite New Year's Day breakfast recipes.
- 1 cup quick-cooking or regular oats
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cinnamon (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cooking spray
- Whisk together oats, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt, cinnamon if using.
- Stir together milk, eggs, oil and lemon juice.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet lightly sprayed with cooking spray as above - just until a few drops of water when sprinkled on skitter around the surface and evaporate.
- Drop pancakes onto griddle in 1/4 cup circles and cook until bubbles form on top.
- Flip and cook on second side until brown.
This recipe was mostly derived from Taste of Home - but you can add nuts or bananas, etc., even a few blueberries to further enhance the recipe.
More Oat Pancake Recipes
- Heart Healthy Oatmeal Pancake Recipe
Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe - Heart Healthy Stella Juarez
- Oatmeal Pancake - All Recipes
Even if you're not in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, these low-carb pancakes may become your new Sunday morning tradition. You can top the pancake with a low-sugar syrup of your choice.
Here on Amazon
More by this Author
This is a great version of a fantastically delicious quiche - Spinach Quiche. This is a favorite offering on breakfast and brunch menus and one of my personal favorites. This recipe is from the Everyday Gourmet...
You can make a jumbo or extra large muffin from any muffin recipe out there. You just have to know how to tweak the recipe in terms of baking time and amount you put in the pan. If you don't have a jumbo muffin pan,...
EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprogramming) therapy is useful in treating many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how to self-administer this therapy anytime and anyplace.