How To Make Healthy Oatmeal Snack Cake
Healthy Oat Snack Cake with Oat Groats
This cake really did not appeal to me when I first read about it but after I made this one time, I was sold on it.This is a great healthy recipe for an oat snack cake made with oat flour and oat groats so you get the double benefits of oats - plus buttermilk - and I added one other ingredient that I just thought would make it even better and it did!
Also good in this recipe is adding dried cranberries, raisins, or any kind of nuts or dried fruit that strikes your fancy.
HEALTHY CHOICE OAT SNACK CAKE
This snack cake is made with steel cut oats rather than rolled oats. Steel cut oats are not processed to the extent that rolled oats are (whether they are quick cooking or regular). Rolled oats are steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted while steel cut oats do not go through all this processing and thus retain their flavor and their natural texture.
Steel cut oats are also low in calories and have no calories from fat. They have no sodium and are low in carbs. They are high in B vitamins, calcium, protein and fiber. Steel cut oats are also low in total and saturated fat and cholesterol. We know from studies that this can help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. Steel cut oats are also reported to reduce the risk of adult onset diabetes. Lastly, steel cut oats are high in dietary fiber, which is also helpful in fighting heart disease. Fiber also helps prevent diabetes and lowers the risk of diverticular disease of the colon.
All in all, this is a delicious little snack cake made healthier by the use of oat flour. It is made with buttermilk (the oats soak overnight in it) and then I added nuts for extra snap and dusted it with a tiny bit of powdered sugar but the cake was perfectly fine just as it was!
Steel Cut Oat and Buttermilk Snack Cake
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk (I use low fat)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats (purchase in health food section or cereal section)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (see how to make your own below if you don't have oat flour)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- Cooking spray
- Sprinkle of powdered sugar (optional)
- Stir together the steel cut oats and buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Spray a 13 x 9 pan or glass baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon oat flour and regular flour into cups to measure. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together in the bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar and butter in a large bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg. Beat until well mixed.
- Stir in the oat and buttermilk soaked mixture. Beat until well blended.
- Add in the flour mixture and beat just until moistened.
- If using walnuts or cranberries or a combination of both, add here and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes - test with wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center. When tester or pick comes out clean, remove from oven and place on wire rack.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into squares. (I flipped mine over on a cookie sheet and then flipped back to the rack)
- Dust with confectioner's sugar is desired.
How to Make Your Own Oat Flour
You will need:
- Rolled oats
- Blender or food processor
That's it! You simply measure about 1/2 cup of rolled oats into the blender or the food processor and continue processing until it has the texture of flour.
You now have oat flour! Re-measure to make sure you have the exact amount required in the recipe as it might be a bit more after grinding.
Use this in any recipe that calls for oat flour. It works great in breads as well.
The Scoop on Oats
More by this Author
Learn how to make mini cheesecakes of several different varieties in a step by step method. These are easy to make and so delicious.
Bread pudding with whiskey sauce recipe. Quick and easy bread pudding recipe.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.