Delicious Oatmeal and Parsley Burgers
Mmmmmmmmmm Burgers - Delicious and Nutritious!
Beef patties are delicious at any time, especially when they are sandwiched between layers of cheese, sliced onion and iceberg lettuce to form a burger. This recipe for patties (which I plagiarized from my mother!) includes rolled oats as one of the ingredients. Oatmeal is high in dietary fiber and is reputed to lower cholesterol. It is also a complex carbohydrate and releases energy slowly over time.
Oatmeal Reduces Blood Cholesterol
Did you know that oatmeal is recommended as part of a healthy diet because it has been shown in studies that it reduces cholesterol?
According to this abstract on the National Center for Biomedical Research (NCBI) website,
"13 years support the suggestion that intake of oat β-glucan at daily doses of at least 3 g may reduce plasma total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels by 5-10%"
About 10 to 15 burgers depending on how big you make them.
- 1 1/2 pounds round minced beef, the leanest you can get!
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oatmeal
- 1/2 a medium sized onion
- 2 to 3 ounces parsley, chopped
- Several pinches black pepper
You don't have to be fussy about the ingredients, after all cooking is an experimental process and you can vary the quantities/proportions the next time to suit your taste! The addition of rolled oats adds texture to the burgers/patties, especially when the mince is somewhat fatty making for a greasy patty. Also oatmeal is a complex carbohydrate, high in iron and fiber. It is also reputed to lower cholesterol.
- Chop the parsley into small quarter inch pieces
- Slice the onion and chop into similar size pieces to the parsley
- Mix the parsley and onion together
- Sprinkle the oatmeal over the mince in a bowl, basin or whatever and knead it through the mixture
- Add the onion/parsley and and a few pinches of ground black pepper and knead it through the oatmeal/mince
- Break off lumps of the mixture, roll into a ball in your hands and flatten onto a greased baking tray or glass casserole dish lid. Actually casserole dish lids are probably the best surface for cooking on as the glass is relatively non stick and in any case the fat in the burgers makes greasing unnecessary. Also you can scrub vigorously when washing up, not the case with non-stick coatings!
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at about 200 deg C or 390 F. You can reduce the temperature to 180 C or 355 F if using a fan oven. Alternatively you can grill them, turning halfway through
- Cook for about half an hour, turning the patties half way through.
If you likes this, check out a recipe for tasty, spicy nutritious tomato and celery soup
More by this Author
A multimeter or DMM is a useful instrument in a home toolkit for measuring voltage, current and resistance and also for tracing breaks in wires, testing components and fuses.
This easily prepared soup is tasty and nutritious and only takes about 30 minutes to make (but a bit longer to do the washing up!)
String trimmers, also known as line trimmers, weed eaters, weed whackers and strimmers, can be troublesome garden tools and difficulty in starting is often due to an issue with the carburetor