Family Recipies Handed Down From the Old Country
This dish is made from all fresh ingredients. It is a very good dish for families and goes a very long way with the kids.
Even though Shepard Pie is made of a lot of vegetables, it still is a hit with the kids. It can be made with either beef, or chicken, whichever is preferred. Meat should be cut into bite sized cubes, and when finished, the insides to these pies tastes a lot like pot pies.
I do not have the nutritional information like the calories per serving, or the fat or cholesteral content. I can say that due to the use of all fresh vegetables this dish is a very healthy choice when feeding a family, and I would guess that it has a low fat content and should be high in the vitamins and minerals found in raw vegetables.
It is a definate favorite of the kids and there are not too many leftovers usually.
- 2 pounds beef or chicken, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 or 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 or 5 carrots, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound winter peas, snapped into thirds
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 6 to 8 potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 pie shells, pre-made (bottoms only)
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- several pads butter
- In a large soup pan first brown meat, onion, and celery in 2 T. cooking oil.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, peas, and cook over medium fire until carrots are almost soft, stirring occasionally.
- Make pie crust and put it in pie tin, or buy frozen prepared pie crust.
- Boil potatoes until soft and mash with milk, butter, and salt. Set aside.
- Add cans of mushroom soup to meat and vegetable mixture, and lower heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15 min.
- When meat and vegetable mixture is done, divide mixture in half, and spoon into the two pie crusts until almost full.
- Finally spoon mashed potatoes ontop of pies smoothing them out so that meat and vegetable mixture is covered.
More by this Author
I am sure that we have all heard the term, "Hole in our ozone layer", so what is that exactly? Does our atmosphere actually have a hole in it, and is that even possible? Lets take a look at this now
Have you ever thought about winning the lottery and what you might do with it? These are true life stories about people that it happened to, and what they did. Did it make their problems worse?
She was half pit bull and half wolf, and she was not like any other dog I had ever had. She was smart, and led her own life.