Omelet with Avocado, Bacon and Cheese.
Why breakfast is important
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The compound word means to ‘break’ the ‘fast’ from a lack of consumption of the night before. After an evening of sleep, and before the day’s activities, the body and brain need to be replenished. We reenergize ourselves for optimal concentration, focus, and mobility-or we are sluggish through the first part of the day.
Omelets are a great way to start the day. Many countries have their own version of this egg dish, each beginning with eggs and adding their own special ingredients that are particular to its culinary culture. For example, the Greek omelette includes feta cheese and spinach; in India, the Masala Omelette uses special spices from that region, such as cumin; and the French omelette would include tomatoes and herbs like chervil, chives and parsley. In Spain, this omelette is known as, tortilla de patatas, and is a traditional, thick omelette filled with sliced potatoes, onions or a variety of different vegetables, presented in tapas bars everywhere.
One of my favorite variations of omelet is the California Omelet. This omelet has all of the ABC's of greatness: avocado, bacon and cheese. Whether you use store bought or free range farm eggs the flavors of the avocado, mixed with the cheese and other ingredients, is worth taking the time to make this breakfast recipe. For a healthier variation, use an egg substitute, low fat cheese and turkey bacon.
Time for BreakfastClick thumbnail to view full-size
- 4 eggs, can be organic or brown chicken eggs
- 4 slices of bacon, pork or turkey
- 4 slices of cheese, thin slices of cheddar or Monterey Jack;
- 1 avocado, California or other, ripe
- dash milk or water, whole, 2%, or skim
- salt dash, optional-to taste
- pepper dash, to flavor
Perfect omeletteClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to cook an omelette
- Prepare a frying pan (or omelette pan) with cooking spray. Set the stove temperature on medium and heat the pan.
- Briskly whisk the eggs, salt, (optional), and pepper with the dash of water or milk.
- Cook the bacon in a separate pan.
- Pour the egg into the pan while the bacon is cooking and cook over medium low heat.
- Adjust the egg skillet temperature to assure it cooks through without scorching.
- Layer the cheese, bacon, and avocado on one side of the egg.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully maneuver the other half of the egg over the layered side.
- Cover the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes so the egg has cooked through and is not runny. Remove from pan and serve.
An omelette is an egg recipe that is often mixed with milk and cooked quickly with additional ingredients such as vegetables, cheese, or meat.
Water or milk whisked in the egg creates ‘bubbles’ which make the omelette light and fluffy.
Legend has it that a giant Easter omelette was served to Napoleon Bonaparte and his army when they were travelling through Southern France. Now, an annual ‘Giant Omelette Festival’ is held in La Bessieres, France.
The omelette has since become a symbol of friendship and feeding the poor. Worldwide omelette celebrations occur in countries including the U.S., Canada, and France.
Abbeville, Louisiana, U.S.A. now holds an annual ‘5000’ egg omelette two day celebration where a giant skillet cooks the large egg mixture, and chefs stir the concoction via giant, wooden paddles. Each year another egg is added to the mixture. This year the total will be 5,028 eggs.
In 1964 Yokohama, Japan held the record for the largest omelette using 160,000 eggs.
In 2002, Ontario, Canada held the record for the largest omelette, which weighed 2.94 tons.
Home of 'The original giant Easter omelette' served to Napoleon and his army.
Home of the '5,000 egg' omelette celebration.
Known for the 160,000 egg omelette.
Record title for the 'Largest Omelette'.
More by this Author
Graham crackers are a versatile food-satisfying, a quick snack, and easy to keep. Here are 7 ways to use graham crackers for a sweet treat or holiday decoration.
Have you ever experienced 'fondue'? If not, the Melting Pot Restaurant is a great place to hold a special celebration. The food is tasty and the dining experience is unique and fun.
If you're in a hurry to go out and don't have time to wash clothes, follow these proven tips to make dirty clothes smell clean (and fool those standing near you!).