Christmas Breakfasts - Try Orange Coffee Cake, Orange Skillet Bread, Or The Orange Cake That Makes Itself
Citrus is a fresh, energizing scent that livens up the house each morning when these great recipes are baking in the oven or on the stove top. For Christmas and Winter Holidays, the scent of oranges compliments the aromas of apples, cinnamon, and other spices that come alive in the house for weeks. One you attach the old Mardi Gras Season to the ends of the Twelve Days of Christmas, you can have these aromas and flavors all the way through Fat Tuesday!
Orange Coffee Cake
- 1 standard box of Spice Cake Mix, or your favorite "scratch" recipe
- 8 oz. carton orange or vanilla yoghurt
- 1/3 cup orange-juice concentrate
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar or sugar substitute or honey
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
Orange Blossom Honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease (or use cooking spray) and flour a 9 x 13 pr 9-inch round pan.
- In large mixing bowl place all cake ingredients
- Mix on low speed until moist.
- Beat medium speed for 2 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl, place all of the filling ingredients and mix together.
- Pour one-half of the coffee cake batter into the pan and drizzle half of the cake filling mix smoothly over the top of the cake batter.
- Add the other half of the cake batter to the same pan.
- On top, finally place the rest of the cake filling.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until a knife blade comes out of the center of the cake clean. Cool about 15 minutes on a cooling rack and place the cake out onto a serving place.
- Serve with any flavor yoghurt on top and golden raisins or some drizzled orange blossom honey.
"An Orange Cake Makes Itself"
Skillet Bread and Orange Marmalade
- 2 cups self-rising flour or Lite biscuit mix*
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk, or a little more if needed.
* 1 cup biscuit mix = 1 cup flour + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1 Tbsp shortening
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the three skillet bread ingredients together well and form a ball of dough.
- Next, flatten the dough into a greased 9-inch cast-iron skillet, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut the bread into wedges.
- Enjoy the skillet bread with Orange Marmalade.
A differently textured bread can be made by eliminating the oil and using about 2 cups of milk. A second alternative is to eliminate oil and use 1 cup of milk and 2 beaten eggs. For a sweeter bread, add 1/4 Cup sugar.
Kitchen Fun: A Sesame Street Orange Sings Carmen
More by this Author
Breakfast and dinner have become interchangeable in America. Both contain a variety of foods and you can enjoy them all whenever you like. IHOP and Waffle House both thrive in the USA.
Great bagel recipes for those that have certain allergies and for everyone that likes bagels.
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...