Oven Baked Salmon With Vegetables and CousCous
Oven Baked Salmon - My favourite dish and it's very healthy!
I like to have some fish in my diet and salmon is one of the most popular and actually easy to cook fish, as well as being easy to get hold of. Most salmon that you can get hold of in supermarkets is boneless and you can buy salmon fillets frozen which are often pretty good value.
I cook this fish recipe on a regular basis for a few reasons:
- It is really healthy and I used this as part of a low fat diet when I was on one (and lost 11kgs!)
- It is realllly easy to cook
- As I live alone it is an easy meal for 1
- You can vary it a bit for a change of scenery!
What you need:
- A piece of salmon - you can actually use any fish you like in this recipe - often I just get a cheap bit of fish and it tastes really good so just get what is easily available.
- A dash of one or more of the following: lemon juice, white wine, olive oil
- dried herbs/spices - I sometimes just use ground garlic but recently have found a lovely thai spice mix (very mild but flavoursome) that I use. Salt and pepper.
- vegetables of your choice
- dried cous-cous
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C Whilst it is heating, put the fish in a piece of foil in an ovenproof dish. Throw over your dash of olive oil, white wine and lemon juice (or just 1 or 2 of these) - you just need about a tablespoon of each
- Sprinkle the fish with your herb/spice of choice and some salt and pepper.
- When the oven is hot, put the fish in and put the water on to boil for the veg.
- The fish should be cooked for around 18 minutes, for a piece big enough for one, longer for a bigger piece.
- When the fish has about 10 minutes left, add the vegetables to the boiling water.
- When the fish has about 5 minutes left boil the kettle for the cous cous. I use cous cous that you can just soak for 5 minutes and it is ready - follow the instructions on the packet. If you are not doing low fat add a knob of butter to the cous cous. You can also season it once it is soaked. That's it. Take the fish out and use any juice to dribble over the cous cous, drain the veg and you have a great healthy meal.
Fish is good for you!
We are often being told that we should include fish in our diets but sometimes people just don't really know where to start about knowing how to cook it. Also when you go to the supermarket and they have the fish counter it can be quite intimidating to see all the whole fish and knowing what to ask for so the easiest thing is to pick up a ready packed piece of fish to start off with. As I said you can use this recipe with any type of fish - some others that i have used are hamour, king fish, sole - anything that is readily available in your area.
How To Cook This in 5 Minutes
So, if you are in a hurry and need a really quick dish to cook, then you can actually cook this dish in 5 minutes! Boil enough water for the vegetables and the couscous. Add the veg to the boiled water and add boiled water to the couscous. They will both take about 5 minutes to cook. Turn on the George Foreman grill and when it is hot add the salmon (you can splash something like olive oil, orange or lemon juice plus salt and pepper on it beforehand). The salmon on needs 3 minutes in the grill and it will be perfect and moist.
Alternatively you can have the salmon with a salad - either still have the salmon warm or if you have a large piece to cook one evening, have half of it hot with vegetables that night and save the other half to have cold with salad the next day :-)
More by this Author
This is a delicious dessert or pudding recipe that I have been using for years. It uses fresh lemons and the mixture of the lemons with the fresh cream and the sponge fingers is irresistible.
So most of us will eat at McDonalds at some time, however often that might be. But if we do it is useful to know the most healthy items to pick from the menu which may not be what you expected.
This is my technique that I have made up for creating abstract paintings with watered down acrylic paint. I have sold quite a few paintings created with this method.