Oven French Toast Recipe
Oven Baked Apple French Toast
Baked Apple French Toast Rating
Baked French Toast
Crowd-pleasing oven baked French toast is a surprisingly easy and un-fussy dish to prepare for company, family, or just for yourself. It can also be prepared in a camp oven, and is a favorite Girl Scout troop camping breakfast that kids can make themselves.
This recipe uses slightly stale French bread, but feel free to substitute your own favorite bread, like whole wheat or San Francisco sourdough. The recipe may also be doubled.
- 1 large apple, coarsely chopped
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t cinnamon, divided, plus additional as needed
- 1/3 C packed brown sugar
- 4 T butter, frozen or well-chilled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 C milk, whole, low-fat or non-fat
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread, sliced about 1
- Set oven rack to center, and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss coarse-chopped apple pieces with lemon juice and scatter in 13"x9" glass pan.
- Scatter butter pieces over apples in pan.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon with brown sugar, and scatter over apples and butter pieces in pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until eggs are well blended. Cinnamon may be slightly clumpy, but it's okay.
- Dip one bread slice into the egg mixture until it is well-coated on both sides, and the egg mixture is allowed to soak into the bread a bit. Place the bread slice on top of the apples in the pan. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread. It's okay to crowd the bread together in the pan.
- Pour any remaining egg mixture over the bread in the pan.
- Place pan in 350 degree oven and bake 30-35 minutes. Check for doneness by pressing one slice of toast in center with fork tines. The bread should spring back when touched, and there should be no apparent runny egg mixture.
- To serve, use a flat spatula to scoop up toast slice along with a portion of the apple mixture. Place on plate and serve hot with maple syrup as desired.
Oven Baked French Toast
French Toast, Baked
- Cinnamon may clump in the egg mixture. When bread is dipped, the first few slices of bread may get more cinnamon that the last slices. If this happens, sprinkle additional cinnamon over the pieces that did not get any.
- If baking in a Coleman or other camp oven, the toast will not brown but will still be cooked, so watch cooking time carefully.
- If recipe is doubled, a jelly roll pan or other large baking sheet with a raised edge can be used instead of the 13"x9" pan.
- This recipe is not fussy; you can increase the apples to two apples if you prefer more fruit with your French toast. Likewise, you can choose what type of milk or bread you prefer.
- You may serve with maple syrup, heated agave syrup or without syrup. The sweetness of the apples along with the brown sugar is usually enough.
More by this Author
No-cook fudge recipe, especially fun for kids to make, great camping dessert. No armpits necessary.
My homage to Twinkies and Minions. And sugar. Easy step-by-step instructions to make Minions at home.
House rabbit life enrichment. Ways to play and interact with your house rabbit.