MORE PERUVIAN RECIPES- Papa(Potato)
Recipes for Papas a la Huancaina & Papa Rellena
This is part 2 of an article on Peruvian Recipes. My husband is from Lima, Peru and Papas a la Huancaina ( Peruvian Potato Salad) & Papa Rellena( stuffed potato) are two of the delicious dishes that he cooks for me as well as teaches me to make. I hope you try them and enjoy!
A link to Part one of Peruvian Recipes:
- Peruvian Recipes-Part 1
First article on Peruvian recipes for Lomo Saltado & Ceviche
Papas a la Huancaina
Papas a la Huancaina/ Potatoes with Peruvian cheese sauce
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 5 ajies Amarillos (yellow peppers)- we use Aji Amarillo Paste to taste
- 4 saltine crackers or more for thickness
- ½ pound of fresh white cheese( my husband likes Feta, but you can use cottage cheese or cream cheese- choose your favorite white cheese))
- 1 Cup evaporated milk
- Juice of ½ lime
- Vegetable oil
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- Pinch of sugar
- ½ tablespoon of Tumeric
- 6 boiled potatoes
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- 6 green or black olives per plate
- 6 lettuce leafs
- Boil potatoes with skins on, then peel.
- Seed, de-vien, and chop aji Amarillo or use paste.
- In a blender put the aji Amarillo, onions, garlic, crackers, two hard-boiled eggs, fresh white cheese, tumeric, sugar, evaporated milk.
- Blend together, adding enough vegetable oil to give the mixture a smooth creamy consistency.
- Add the juice of lime and blend a few seconds more.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste, adding more salt if necessary.
- Refrigerate or serve at room temperature.
Place lettuce leaves on each plate. Slice the cooled potatoes on the plate and cover with the sauce. Garnish with olives, half a hardboiled egg and sprinkle with parsley.
Video-Step by step for Papa Rellena Recipe
Papa Rellena Recipe or Stuffed Potato
- 4 c Mashed Potatoes
- 1 c Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 lb Hamburger
- 1 c Onion, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 boiled Eggs, chopped
- Black Olives
- Optional: Raisins, chopped tomatoes or anything you might like
- Mix together potato, flour, and egg. Be sure it's cool.
- Mix hamburger with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, egg, and olive.
- The hamburger and onions should be fried with the spices before you add the other ingredients.
- Heat 4" of oil in frying pan.
- Flour the palm of your hand and put in it a heaping Tbsp. of the potato mixture.
- With a spoon, scoop out a hole in the center.
- Place a Tbsp. of meat mixture in the center, and with well-floured hands, fold top of potato over to completely close it up.
- Gently roll it in your floured hands and lower in the very hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown.
Need a Peruvian Dessert Recipe?
- Peruvian Dessert Recipes
Peruvian recipes for "Arroz con Leche" & "Leche Asada"
Useful and Interesting Links:
More by this Author
What I didn't know about taking prescription Adderall
There are two easy desserts that my husband will make from time to time and they are "Arroz con Leche"( Rice with Milk) and Leche Asada ( Baked Milk or custard). Both are very good and sweet and pretty...
Tubal Ligation , research and ask questions.