APPETIZER RECIPE: POTATO CROQUETTES FILLED WITH SPINACH-BACON, CHORIZO BILBAO, SHRIMP, HAM AND CHEESE
Potato Croquettes with Ham and Cheese Filling Photo
This simple appetizer dish can be transformed into a tempting sumptuous appetizer by stuffing them with a variety of ingredients that everyone will love and enjoy.
Ingredients for Basic Croquettes
- 1 1/2 kilos potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 6 tbsps butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper, ground
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- oil, for deep frying
Various Filling Ideas
Ingredients for Various Fillings:
1 slice bacon, chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped onions
1 1/2 cup chopped spinach leaves
Ham and Cheese Filling:
1/4 cup chopped ham
1/4 cup diced cheese
1/4 cup diced chorizo Bilbao
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup peeled and chopped shrimp
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup drained spiced corned tuna
- In a large bowl, mash boiled potatoes with a fork, then add the melted butter, milk, salt and ground white pepper and continue mashing until all the ingredients are well blended and smooth.
- Prepare you preferred filling by combining the ingredients together (for filled potato croquettes).
- For the Spinach-Bacon filling: fry the bacon first then saute' the onions in the bacon oil before adding the spinach and stir until the spinach becomes limp.
- Dust your hands with flour to prevent the mashed potatoes from sticking into your hands.
- Place two spoons of mashed potatoes on your palm and form into a ball for the basic potato croquettes. Do the same for the remaining mashed potatoes.
- For the filled potato croquettes: place two spoons of mashed potato in your palm and flatten it, then place 1/2 or a teaspoon of your preferred filling on top and fold up the edges to enclose the filling. Carefully roll and form the croquettes into a ball. Do the same for the rest of the mashed potatoes and fillings.
- Put the croquette balls on a tray lined with parchment paper and chill for approximately ten minutes.
- Place flour in a bowl. Take out the croquette balls from the refrigerator and dredge each croquette balls in the flour. Gently tap the dredged croquette balls at the side of the bowl to remove excess flour.
- Dip the dredged croquette balls in the beaten eggs then carefully roll and completely cover croquette balls in bread crumbs and freeze for a few hours until firm.
- Deep fry potato croquettes in hot oil until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil and serve hot.
More by this Author
Dipping and Coating is another technique of covering homemade chocolate candies like homemade assorted polvorons with melted or tempered chocolate. This technique can also be used to cover fresh fruits, candied ginger,...
Nilasing na Hipon is popular not only as a main dish among us Filipinos but also as an appetizer in family gatherings, fiestas, parties and other special occasions. I usually use prawns instead of shrimp when cooking my...
POLVORON is a popular Filipino homemade delicacy originally made only for gift-giving and for local private consumption during family gatherings, festive celebrations and other special occasions. But because of growing...