How To Make Breakfast Pan Cookies, Hearty, Frugal Meals
Copyright all rights reserved for ®LillyLG Productions. June 10, 2012
Cast Iron Yiew of Pan CookieClick thumbnail to view full-size
Pan Cookies for Breakfast, or Snacks
Today, many of us are fighting to fit health and affordable meals into the budget. It is becoming more difficult to make dollars stretch, while still being able to provide healthy meals. When it comes to meeting nutritional needs, and hunger, this can be a tough order to fill.
Most parents today, are working more than one job. This causes the entire household to juggle schedules, transportation, and meals.
Since families are in the process of surviving, and making every minute count, this leaves little time for experimentation with recipes. This also leaves little time or effort for parents to search for something different. Let me pass on a frugal recipe I came up with years ago.
When my kids were school age, the boys were big eaters. They could be picky, but knowing how important a solid breakfast is; instead of a pan cakes, I invented pan cookies.
It was a desperate attempt to peak the kids interest. This was also a sly way to trick them into screaming for a breakfast food that is nutritious, filling, attractive and cheap.
Pan cookies, frugal breakfast, healthy snack
- 1/4 Cup Oatmeal, 3 Minute Oats
- 3/4 Cup Muffin Mix, Berry or Cheesecake
- 12 Cranberries, Dried Fruit
- 2 TBLS Yogurt, Berry
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 TBLS Water
- 1 Capful Oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1 TBLS sunflower seeds, shelled
Pictorial of Pan CookiesClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Gather all ingredients
- Heat griddle or cast iron skillet on 4.5 or medium heat.
- Get large enough bowl to easily mix all ingredients
- Mix until there is no dry pockets
- Scoop up enough for a nice "cookie-size". 2 should cook comfortably in a small skillet
- Carefully spread to 1/2" thinness, let cook until brown all along bottom edges
- Flip over and let brown. About 4 minutes.
- Serve on a plate, or create a pan cookie sandwich, and add a thin layer of peanut butter, or jelly between two pan cookies
- To stretch even farther, add more water to mix, making the Pan Cookies thinner, and shorten cooking time.
- To send them out the door with pan cookies, use a paper towel, or the more frugal coffee filter, they transport easily.
What makes this frugal?
This makes about 8 medium / palm sized pan cookies. They are filling, fruity and start everyone's day off with a cheerful reminder of a breakfast that tastes anything but frugal.
- 1 Package of Martha White Muffin Mix - $1.00 (only using 3/4 cup is about .25 worth)
- 11 Craisins - pennies
- 1/4 Oats - less that .50 cents
- 1/4 water - pennies
- 1 cap full of vegetable oil - pennies
- Cinnamon - pennies
- Yogurt - less than .50 cents
- 1/4 cap full vanilla flavoring pennies
- Package of shelled sunflower seeds, about $1.00 (using only 1 TBLS leaves lots of seeds)
Pan Cookie Nutrition
|Serving size: 2 palm sized coohies|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Discover freedom from the torturous bra, and get released from the necessity, of wearing a dreaded bra. Define yourself. Be free, be proud, be woman.
Testament is a sculpture of The Little Rock 9 (Nine), it lies east of the front of the Arkansas State Capitol. John Deering is the sculptor.
It is not life, obstacles, ownership, or relationships that drive us crazy, it is our thinking about these things that do. Here's a hundred give or take