Party Dishes Your Guests Will Love
Through the years I have stumbled upon various recipes that are ALWAYS a hit when I make them for a party. Below I share three different recipes I make quite often for parties that always result in the other guests begging me for the recipes. There is one salad / main course dish, one side-type dish, and one dessert-type dish.
#1 - "Chinese" Coleslaw
1 cup peanut oil
1 cup sesame seeds
1 bag slivered almonds
1 bag Oriental Soup Ramen noodles
4 to 6 scallions
½ cup Grape seed oil with chili peppers
½ cup canola oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1 package of Angel hair coleslaw
Assorted veggies of your choice chopped (broccoli, red peppers, carrots, etc.)
Cooked meat of your choice (chicken, beef, etc.) chopped into bite size pieces
Heat peanut oil. Break up the bag of ramen noodles, sauté broken noodles in peanut oil together with the sesame seeds and the almonds.
Next chop up the scallions. Mix them with the grape seed oil, canola oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and the brown sugar.
Finally, in a large bowl mix together all items above coleslaw, the assorted chopped veggies, and chopped up meat. Chill dish and serve.
#2 - Deluxe Corn Bread Casserole
This recipe is compliments of the Dummies.com website. I have not found a yummier version of corn bread casserole to beat it, guaranteed!
1 box Jiffy brand cornbread mix
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) creamed corn
1 can (15 ounces) whole corn kernels, drained
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
¼ to ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cornbread mix, creamed corn, corn kernels, eggs, sour cream, and butter. Transfer to a 13 x 9 inch greased baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is firm. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle cheese on top. Return to over and bake for 15 more minutes. Serve immediately.
#3 - Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Jelly Roll
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
4 eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup canned pumpkin pie filling
12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate pieces
¼ cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Prepare roll: heat oven to 375 degrees. Line jelly-roll pan with waxed paper. Coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Beat in sugar; continue beating until very thick and lemon colored, 5 to 7 minutes. Beat in pumpkin. Fold in flour mixture with spatula. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. Generously sieve confectioners’ sugar over a clean kitchen towel. When cake is done, immediately loosen edges. Invert onto towel. Sprinkle cake with additional confectioners’ sugar. From a short end, roll up cake with the wax paper, jelly roll fashion. Let cool on wire rack for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare Filling: Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in bowl for 5 to 8 minutes until creamy. Stir in chocolate and almonds.
- Unroll cake. Spread with cheese mixture. Reroll without towel. Refrigerate at least for 4 hours or overnight, covered.
There you have it! Three of the best all time party dish favorites that I’ve ever come across to date. Try any, or all, of these three delicious recipes yourself and you too will have people begging you to, “Please make that dish you made last time”!
More by this Author
Men with long hair are said to comprise about 2 to 3% of the adult male population. My boyfriend currently has longer hair than mine, and it seems like I’ve always had a subconscious preference towards men with...
If you are anything like me, you may have enjoyed watching American football for many years without really understanding everything that was going on. It was only after I developed a better knowledge of the rules and...
No matter what the cause, having permanently enlarged red veins on the whites of your eyes can really take a toll on a person’s self esteem.