Pepper Shots Recipe: How to Infuse Vodka with Jalapenos
Infused vodka has become an extremely popular way to add exciting new twists to alcoholic beverages. I was first introduced to jalapeno infused vodka at the Pilsen Club, which is a small, cozy bar below Waldo's Tavern in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Waldo's is the campus bar for Western Michigan University, where I went to college. We would go to the Pilsen Club as the first bar stop on our nights out for their famous "Pepper Shots." Pepper Shots were simply jalapeno infused vodka that was chilled and served with a slice of pickle. The pepper shots were a perfect way to start out the night and always a treat whenever we went out.
Since we enjoyed Pepper Shots at the Pilsen Club so much and I no longer live in Kalamazoo, I decided to give jalapeno infused vodka a try to make my own homemade version. You can follow this recipe with any kind of pepper and try your own combinations. I tried four different combinations and found that jalapenos gave the best combination of flavor and heat, but the others were not bad either!
- 16 oz Vodka
- 1 Red Jalapeno
- 1 Green Jalapeno
- 1 16 oz Mason Jar
- 1 Pickle
- Cut one red and one green jalapeno pepper into quarters and take out all of the seeds.
- Fill one mason jar with vodka.
- Drop the quartered jalapenos into the vodka filled mason jar and fasten the lid.
- Store jar at room temperature for up to two weeks, lightly shaking once per day. Do not leave peppers in the vodka for more than two weeks - this will leave the vodka tasting bitter.
- After two weeks, strain the vodka into another mason jar or into an empty liquor bottle using a fine strainer to remove the peppers and any large chunks of peppers floating in the vodka.
- Vodka can be stored in the freezer or at room temperature.
Serving: Pepper Shots
Jalapeno infused vodka is great on its own as a shot. To serve, chill the vodka by putting a few ice cubes in a martini shaker, pour in the vodka, and shake well. Pour into shot glasses for you and your friends, and serve with a slice of large dill pickle. Raise your glasses, make a toast, shoot the vodka, then take a bite of the pickle like you would a lime after a tequila shot.
Serving: Other Options
Jalapeno infused vodka and other kinds of pepper infused vodka are great for adding a little kick to Bloody Mary's and martinis. Try using different combinations of peppers to find the best infused vodka to go with your favorite Bloody Mary recipe or to use in a spicy and dirty martini. Also, try using your infused vodka in cooking recipes that call for vodka to give your sauce an extra bite!
More by this Author
A guide to setting up your Fire Dragon Outpost in Dragons of Atlantis, an empire building game on Facebook. Discover the best way to set up your Fire Dragon Outpost and dominate your enemies.
99 Awesome Fantasy Football Team Names from the 2010 season. Use one of these names for your fantasy football team and impress your friends and opponents with your wit and creativity.
A guide to playing and winning ESPN Streak for the Cash.
No comments yet.