BBQ Food Recipes: Tasty Steak and Succulent Spare Ribs Plus Easy Marinades for Chicken, Pork and Prawns: No Fuss Foods
BBQ sauce is a must have for every BBQ, adding heaps of flavor to ribs, steaks and chops. Smothered over chicken pieces or as a dressing for a burger
All the recipes you need to keep up to date with great BBQ dishes
Charcoal grills are very popular and come in different sizes... Check out some reviews
BBQ Potato Salad Side Dish
- Perfect Potato Salad
I'm not a big fan of potatoes, I know it's a sin_my family always frown on my lack of interest in the mere potato, however I am the family treasure when it comes to my potato salad. Will I share the recipe?...
Don't burn your fingers; invest in some cool BBQ utensils
All weather furniture for The Great Outdoors
Summer Sangria Recipes
- How to make sangria for summer parties
The sun is shining, the BBQ is out and the world is absolutely wonderful. No! well add a jug of sangria to your luncheon and you might see the sunnier side of life. The most difficult question I shall impose...
Barbecued Spare Ribs: Serves 6
- 2 kg of good quality meaty pork ribs
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped (remove seeds if you don't like too much heat)
- a can of tomatoes finely chopped in tomato sauce
- 30 g of brown sugar
- 50 ml of cider vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- Put the ribs in a pan with the onion, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook slowly for an hour.
- Drain, cover and leave to one side.
- To make the sauce mix all the remaining ingredients in a large dish.
- Add 1/2 of the sauce to the ribs and mix thoroughly.
- The ribs can be made to this point up to the day before.
- When the ribs are cold, store them and the remaining sauce in the fridge overnight if not using till the next day.
- Remove from the fridge 20 mins before cooking.
- Place the ribs on the BBQ and cook for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, turning occasionally.
- Continually brush the ribs liberally with the remaining sauce to coat.
- Serve the ribs straight from the BBQ.
Spare ribs make great appetizers and taste fantastic straight from the BBQ. If you are short of time, don't despair. Buy a ready made BBQ rib sauce and carry on from there. There are some great flavors; hickory, hot, oak, smoked, spicy, traditional.
Barbecued Steak with Chimichurri Dressing:
Choose a lean piece of sirloin or if you're feeling flush opt for fillet. A lb in weight should do it for 4 persons. If you are only serving the steak then you'll need 2 lbs for 4 persons.
Ingredients for the Chimichurri Dressing:
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- tsp of fennel seeds
- bunch of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- medium red chilli finely chopped (remove seeds if your not too keen on too much heat)
- fresh thyme leaves
- 100 ml of good olive oil
- 50 ml of red wine vinegar
- Toast the cumin and fennel seeds in a non stick pan till you get a nice fragrant whiff.
- Tip into a bowl, adding the remaining ingredients and season with pepper.
- Marinade your steak in about a 1/3 of the mixture, rubbing it well into the meat, leave to marinade for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge about 20 mins before cooking.
- When your BBQ has a good strong heat, without flames, add a little salt to your steak and place on the BBQ.
- Cook to your personal liking. I'm a rare person so 2 to 3 mins on each side.
- When the steak is cooked remove to a large plate, slice and drizzle over remaining dressing.
Three Easy, Tasty Barbecue Recipes:
1) Barbecued Pork Chops Made Simple:
This next marinade for pork chops is really easy. All you need to do is squeeze a little lemon juice over the pork chops and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Chill till ready to BBQ.
To Barbecue: drizzle with olive oil and place on your BBQ for 3 to 5 mins each side. Delicious.
2) Barbecued Curry Chicken:
Next up is a marinade for chicken. Mix 4 tsp of curry paste (from a jar) with a 125 ml pot of natural yogurt and the juice of half a lime. Leave to marinade overnight.
To Barbecue: cook on your BBQ for 3 to 4 mins on each side. I like to skewer the chicken in medium sized chunks if I have a large group of people. Tasty.
3) Barbecued Prawns:
Prawns are great on the BBQ. Brush with olive oil and add a sprinkle of sea salt with a squeeze of lemon cooking for 3 to 4 mins on each side. Another tasty treat; brush your prawns with a sweet chili dip (from a jar) turning as the prawns cook on the BBQ.
I cheat with my prawns; cooking them in their shells in seasoned boiling water with parsley and garlic. Drain and leave to one side till ready to BBQ
BBQ Coleslaw Side Dish
- Classic Coleslaw
Coleslaw is a great accompaniment to all types of dishes, a side dish to your steak and chips or fried chicken, great with a sandwich or fresh roll, perfect with your favorite salads and brill for picnics....
Quick and Easy no Fuss Foods
- Picnic Food for Adults: Quick & Easy no Fuss Food Id...
Quick and easy no fuss food ideas for grown up picnics. Take the stress out of picnics with these clever food ideas and keep all the adults happy. Bring on those lazy hazy days.
Delicious Side Dishes
You will need a few easy, tasty side dishes to compliment your main BBQ dishes. Here are a few stress free side dishes everyone will enjoy eating and you will enjoy preparing...
- A salad bowl is always a good choice. In a large dish mix some lettuce leaves (from a mixed leaf bag), a thinly sliced red salad onion and 5 sliced spring onions. Drizzle over a good quality caesar salad dressing and grate in some fresh parmesan cheese. Mix to coat the leaves with the dressing. Sprinkle over some crisp croutons. A simple green salad with the wow factor.
- Fresh crusty bread is another easy addition. Slice and serve with butter and or cream cheese.
- Corn on the cob is delicious on the BBQ. Serve with a blob of butter and sprinkle of salt. To add a kick mix a sprinkle of finely chopped chili to your butter and mash to mix.
- Wrap sweet red salad onions in tinfoil with a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season and place in (among the coals) the BBQ. When you can really smell the onions cooking; they are ready to eat.
- Cut large white onions in half. Rub with olive oil and place on the BBQ. Cook till a little blackened. Sprinkle with salt and chives to serve.
- Chop up your veggie favorites, for example; courgettes, peppers, small onions, whole baby tomatoes, button mushrooms. Put into a large dish and drizzle with olive oil and a little honey. Season, mix, skewer and cook on the BBQ till tender.
- Slice an aubergine into thick slices. Place on a plate, season with salt and leave for a couple of hours or until the salt has drawn out the excess water. Squeeze over a little lemon juice, brush with olive oil and cook for 1 to 2 min each side.
- Wrap small potatoes in tinfoil with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place in the BBQ (like the wrapped onions, among the coals). When you smell that lovely baked potato smell your potatoes are ready. Serve with a knob of butter.
Check out the links listed to the right for easy, tasty salad recipes to accompany your BBQ dishes.
And finally, the last but not least dish of the day: The dessert. After indulging in all those grilled meats, BBQ sauces and mixed salads, a dessert must be light and fresh. These grilled pineapple rings are the perfect dessert dish, add a cool topping and you have the right combination to bring your BBQ to a sweet end.
Sweet Pineapple Rings:
Peel and slice a fresh pineapple into thick rings, removing the hard core in the center. Sprinkle over a little brown sugar and place on the BBQ. Grill till slightly blackened and tender. Serve the pineapple with a choice of vanilla ice cream, natural yogurt, lime ice sorbet or simply opt for a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. The perfect end to the perfect BBQ.
© 2010 Gabriel Wilson
More by this Author
- 8Easy Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe Using Condensed Milk: Plus a Little Tip; How To Stop Your Meringue From Cracking
An easy lemon meringue pie recipe with homemade pastry using condensed milk. An easy everyday desert. A delicious cheats pie recipe that will please every time.
Delicious homemade fruit scones recipe: a few hints and tips to make your scones perfect every time. Simple, easy and totally delicious.
Zero calorie foods take more energy to absorb into the system than the energy in the food itself. In other words zero calorie foods are foods you can eat without counting calories or gaining weight