Easy Potato Salad Recipes: How to Make Perfect Potato Salad
Make and Rate
Potato Salad: 65 Recipes from Classic to Cool
Perfect Ingredients to Add to Your Potato Salad
Chive Seeds Are Easy to Grow and Add Great Flavour
Have a Meal Outside
- Picnic food for adults
Picnics are great fun, taking you out into the fresh air, spending quality time with friends and family. Whether you opt for the beach, the mountains or a lush green field, the food you choose for your picnic...
- Picnic food for kids
Kids love being out doors (after they've gotten over been plucked from their computer or TV, that is). Playing games in the fresh air, while enjoying the treat of a picnic is great fun for everyone. A kids...
I'll admit I'm not a big fan of potatoes. I know it's a sin, potatoes being full of energy, a low fat food and mostly inexpensive. I find I have to do something remotely exciting to encourage myself to eat potatoes. My family always frown on my lack of interest in the mere potato, however I am the family treasure when it comes to my potato salad. And in actual fact I need no encouragement whatsoever to enjoy some of these simply yet tasty potato dishes.
Will I share the recipe? Over my dead body! Well alright, if you insist. But don't breath a word, it's our secret.
You will need small waxy potatoes complete with skin, scrubbed clean. Make sure they are very fresh and in season (no green skin in sight and not soft). It is crucial that your potatoes are perfect, to make the perfect potato salad. I am spoiling you as I have three different easy potato salad recipes for you to choose from.
Basic Potato Salad Recipe:
- 1 Ib of potatoes
- a handful of fresh chopped parsley
- 2/3 tablespoons of good quality creamy mayo (room temperature)
- a splash of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- a sprinkle of paprika to serve
- Boil enough water to cover your potatoes in a pot with a little added oil, salt and pepper.
- Pop in your clean potatoes and simmer till almost cooked through.
- Use a toothpick to test the potato, that way you won't break the skin.
- Drain and steam for at least 20 mins.
- Tip the potatoes into a bowl.
- Sprinkle over the parsley.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Cover and leave to infuse for another 15 to 20 mins.
- Add a couple of dollops of mayo and stir, breaking the potatoes (gently) as you mix.
- Serve the potato salad with a sprinkle of paprika.
- The mayo at room temperature spreads easier through the potatoes.
- If you really have to remove the potato skin, cook your potatoes as above; steam, then peel and carry on with the recipe
Three Different Recipes Made Simple:
To change your basic potato salad recipe into a real tasty dish add one of the following combinations to your recipe.
1) Red Onion and Chive Potato Salad Recipe:
- Add 2 small red salad onions finely diced and a handful of snipped fresh chives instead of the parsley to your potatoes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard at the same time as you add the mayo.
- Sprinkle over more chives to serve instead of the paprika.
2) Spring Onion and Thyme Potato Salad Recipe:
- Add a good sprig of fresh thyme to your potatoes while boiling (remove when steaming).
- Chop 4/5 fresh spring onions, white and green parts and add to the potatoes instead of the parsley.
- Sprinkle over fresh thyme leaves to serve instead of the paprika.
3) Dill and Radish Potato Salad Recipe:
- Add diced fresh dill and sliced red salad radishes to your potatoes at the same time as you add the parsley.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of horseradish sauce at the same time as you add the mayo.
- Sprinkle with cracked black pepper to serve instead of the paprika
Potato Salad Low Down:
- Potato salad is great for picnics, BBQ's, salads, sandwiches, snacks and lunch boxes.
- Grill a chicken breast, griddle a piece of steak or buy some cold meats from your local deli. Whip up a salad of fresh lettuce leaf, finely chopped onions and your delightful potato salad. Dinner is served. A true feast without the fuss.
- Add some crusty french bread or buttered brown soda bread, a bottle of chilled dry white wine and you have a meal fit for a King or for a Queen.
Do Try This at Home
When I make potato salad at home I aways make plenty as one of my favorite snacks is warm potato salad, slices of honey ham or smoked ham with mustard and red salad onion, all piled together in a crusty white roll or between two slices of fresh bread. If you're not a meat eater opt for mature grated cheese instead of the slices of ham and a few chopped red peppers, top with the potato salad and enjoy. Another cool option is slices of cucumber straight from the fridge.
Delicious food doesn't have to be complicated and sometimes foods we don't particularly enjoy just need a little careful reconstructing. It's amazing what a few extra ingredients can to do to a mere spud. Being a little creative can make cooking fun and meal times exciting for everyone. Hope you enjoy.
© 2010 Gabriel Wilson
More by this Author
A great Irish stew recipe: A Beef and Guinness stew the perfect end to a cold day. An easy tasty dish for all the family to enjoy.
Great coleslaw recipes including good old classic slaw, cheese slaw and a modern scrumptious bacon slaw. It's so easy and cheap to make your own not to mention quick and tasty. Why not make your own.
This article lists alcoholic drinks that won't make you fat. If you're watching your weight or want a healthier option read on and discover low calorie alcoholic drinks that won't ruin your waistline.