Russian Pirozhki Recipe. Russian Recipe of Potato Pirozhki with Pictures.
Now it's all about Pirozhki!
If you are reading about Pirozhki before you have read about Belyashi, you are more then welcome to visit here and read why I cook mostly Russian cuisine, what is “Belyashi” and how to make a delicious lunch (dinner, supper) for your family and friends. You will see, that it is rather simple to make it!
This time I'll teach you how to make Pirozhki.
Many Americans know and love “pierogi”, and when I start telling about my favorite recipe of Russian food called “pirozhki” (in Russian- “пирожки”), they think that “pirozhki” is the same as “pierogi”. It is not really the same. What American know as "pierogi', is usually Polish version of Russian "vareniki", like big dumplings with potatoes.
“Pirozhki” is a plural form of “pirozhok” (Russian- “пирожок”), that means “little pirog” (Russian- “пирог”- pie). “Pirog” is a full sized pie, while “pirozhki” are little pies.
Pirozhki are individual-sized fried (or baked) oval buns with different stuffing. Stuffing vary so much, that the choice of filling is endless. Mashed potatoes, boiled rice mixed with hard boiled chopped eggs, apples, cabbage, mushrooms, cottage cheese, what’s not!
My favorites are pirozhki with potatoes. And this is how to make Russian potato pirozhki, Russian little pies with mashed potatoes.
What to start with.
Make mashed potatoes. Should I teach you how to make it? May be just a little tip. Chop an onion and fry it in olive oil till it is light brown. Mash it into potatoes. Add spices (salt, pepper, dill weed)
Buy a pack of dinner rolls dough. A real Russian cook will make the dough from scratch (flower, sugar, butter, eggs, water or milk, pack of yeast, salt. Kneading it is the most hassle).
It’s too much of a job for me; that’s why I’m using a lazy version of it- just buying a couple of bags of dinner rolls dough. The effect is the same, so why not to go the easier way?
Put pieces of dinner roll dough on a plate and let them thaw until they are soft and fluffy. Cover the plate with a lightweight clean piece of cloth, it will keep the dough from drying and building a dry crust. I was told a "Russian secret"- you should cover the dough with a white cloth. Maybe it has something to do with harmful colors that might have been used in fabrics, I don't know. But I try to use white cloth traditionally.
Flatten each piece of the dinner roll dough with a rolling-pin. Use flower to dust it so that the dough won’t stick to a roller.
Just put it all together!
It is simple!
- Put a tablespoon of mashed potatoes in the middle of a dough circle.
- Press the edges together with your fingers
- Fold dough edges, pinching and sticking it with fingers.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium-high. The oil should not be too hot, as pirozhki will burn easily. Pure vegetable oil is better for frying this stuff than any other oil. Don't use olive oil for frying pirozhki or belyashi. Olive oil is good for salads, not for frying.
- Put pirozhki in the pan, with the folded side down. Pirozhki should be half dip in the oil . After the folded sides of pirozhki are brown, flip them over with the help of a spatula and fry the bottom.
- Put pirozhki on a paper towel to dry excess oil, and then put them on an oven sheet, cover with foil and place in a warmed oven for 10-20 minutes. The oven should be preheated to 300-325F. This will add crispiness to pirozhki.
- If you'd like them soft, pile pirozhki in a bowl (or a pot) and cover. When they cool this way, they will become soft.
- Eat them just as they are, or with any main dish. Pirozhki are very good with soups.
Another way to make them! Bake them!
Today I made "bite-size" pirozhki, by cutting pieces of dinner roll dough by half
More by this Author
Kinder Surprise, a chocolate egg with a plastic capsule inside that contains a cool toy is loved by kids and adults all over the world, but it is banned in USA. Childhood is not the same without it.
- 21Chocolate Sausage, Chocolate Kolbasa, Chocolate Salami- Fast and Easy Dessert that Will Boost Your Serotonin.
How about a Sausage for desert? Crazy idea? Not so crazy if you make it according my recipe! Surprise and delight your guests with a simple and awesome desert from my childhood- Chocolate sausage! In Russian...
Wisconsin Dells is a small town with the feel of a big city. Winter or summer, it is the perfect place for a family vacation or business conference. Here are ten ideas to help you plan your trip.