Pizza Cookies - Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Coconut Cookie Recipe
Why Are These Cookies Called Pizza Cookies?
I bet you're wondering why in the world these cookies are called Pizza Cookies. Well, to be honest, I am not sure, but there is a story that goes with it!
When my father was young and had recently joined the military, his mother told him the recipe to make these cookies. He loved making an enormous batch and then eating half of it before even cooking it (Note: He did live with several other guys, so they helped eat the cookies). Anyway, each time he wanted to make the cookies, he would have to call his mother because he forgot the recipe. So finally his mother, my grandmother, wrote down the recipe and sent it too him. He then framed it, and made these cookies very often. My father's call sign, when he was a Naval Fighter Pilot, was 'pizza' (because he really really liked pizza), and eventually whenever he would make these cookies, everyone would call then 'pizza's cookies' because he was well known for making them. The name has since become just Pizza Cookies, and is still a framed recipe on the wall in my parents house.
Another possible reason for the name 'Pizza Cookies' is because my father once made a full batch, but cooked them as 8 huge pizza-sized cookies. Needless to say, a very good idea.
As you will see, this recipe contains a very wide variety of things such as chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, nuts, oatmeal and almost anything you want. So after you have tried the recipe a few times, have fun experimenting with it and enjoy these delicious cookies!
Rate the Pizza Cookies!
Cook Time - 8 Min per Cookie Sheet
NOTE: Consider making 1/3 Batch (About 3 Dozen Cookies)
This Recipe makes about 9 dozen cookies - quite a few! But it is easy to only make 1/3 or 2/3 of a batch. 1/3 batch makes about 3 dozen small cookies.
I left the recipe in it's original size, because that is how it has been passed down in my family. Consider making a full batch, and sharing them with you friends and family!
Ingredients for Pizza Cookies
- 3 Cups Butter, -- Butter is best, but Margarine is fine
- 3 Cups Sugar
- 3 Cups Brown Sugar
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Table Spoon (T) Vanilla Flavoring, -- Does not taste as good as it smells
- 1 T Salt
- 1 T Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Flour, -- All purpose Flour is best
- 2 1/2 Cups Additional Flour, -- See instructions - added at the end
- 9 Cups Oatmeal, -- It's Healthy!
- 2 Cups Chocolate Chips, -- (12 Oz. bag)
- 1 Cup Butterscotch Chips, -- (6 Oz. bag - optional)
Baking Pizza Cookies
Easy Instructions for Pizza Cookies
- Put Butter in large mixer, begin mixing. (turn oven on to 350)
- Add Sugar and Brown Sugar, Continue to mix well.
- Add eggs, vanilla, salt and baking soda. Then slowly add the 2 cups flour and mix until smooth consistency.
- Now, add additional 2 1/2 cups flour and the oatmeal. Mix thoroughly.
- Finally, add Chocolate chips, and any other desired ingredients! I would suggest mixing by hand, as most mixers will crush/mash chocolate chips and other ingredients.
- Bake - use a spoon to place cookie dough on baking sheets, then bake in the oven 8 min or until lightly brown.
- Store any not consumed at the time. Freezing excess cookies from large batches works very well. Enjoy!
Do You Prefer Pizza or Cookies?See results without voting
NOTE: Additional Ingredients You Might Like!
The great thing about this recipe is you can add almost anything too it! Here are just a few of the possible additional ingredients you should consider adding to these Pizza Cookies!
- White Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Nuts - any kind you like including Walnuts, Pecans, and Almonds!
- Shredded Coconut - this is recommended
- Dried Cherries or other dried fruit - Only if you like 'em!
- Chopped Dates
Nutrition - Pizza Cookies have Oatmeal, that's Healthy Right?
|Serving size: As many as you want|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
The five best soccer leagues in the world that every soccer fan should follow. The leagues include the worlds best soccer players from many different countries and provide the best in soccer entertainment.
After years of testing and experimentation, here are 5 tips to make better homemade pizza. The first step to better pizza begins with the pizza sauce...
Covering the basics of what spearfishing is, how to spearfish using a Hawaiian sling or pole spear, and tips to catch bigger fish while spearfishing!