Hearty Pork Sausage Chili
Chili-Come and Get It
There are so many variations of chili or chili con carne. People have been making chili since the 17th century using various types of meat, beans and vegetables. Lately I've been making a lot of dishes with pork due to it being on sale more so than beef. The following recipe can be made with either beef or pork.
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground chili powder
- 1 tsp. Crushed red peppers
- 3-4 dashes of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Pepper Sauce ( or your favorite hot sauce)
Ingredients for Pork Chili
- 1 ½ pound of ground pork
- 3 – 4 hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-28 oz. or 796 ml cans of diced tomatoes
- 2-19 oz. or 540 ml cans of red kidney beans
Let's Get Cooking
Cut the Italian sausages into bite sized pieces.
Fry the sausages with the ground pork until cooked.
While the meat is cooking chop onion and green pepper. Thinly slice the garlic cloves.
Rinse kidney beans under cold water in a colander and put aside.
Once the meat is cooked drain it.
In the bottom of a large pot add enough oil to coat the bottom and heat. Add the chopped onions and green pepper. Sauté for three minutes and then add the sliced garlic. Continue to sauté another two minutes.
Add diced tomatoes and stir. Add all of the spices and let this mixture simmer for ten minutes to blend flavors.
Add meat and stir. Gently add and mix the rinsed kidney beans. Bring everything to a boil then simmer for twenty minutes.
To Accompany Chili
To go along with your chili here are some sides that you may enjoy.
- Tostitos Scoops. These are great as you can scoop the chili.
- Shredded cheese.
- Chopped green onions to add once the chili is dished out into bowls.
- Sour cream to dollop on top.
- For those that like their chili a bit spicier make sure you have a bottle of hot sauce on the table as well as chili powder or hot pepper flakes.
How Do You Like Your Chili?See results without voting
If you find that there is not enough liquid in the chili and don't want to add another entire can or diced or whole tomatoes, add salsa to it. I've done this several times and it has worked out quite well.
Great Recipes From Austinstar
- Top Ten Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan
Top 10 Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan. Chili, cornbread, beans, home fries, Chicken Fried Steak, spare ribs, brisket, frito pie, enchiladas and pecan pie.
Chili by missolive
- Chilly? Have Chili! - Cold Fronts and Comfort Foods
Chili is a great weekend treat to have on hand as families gather and friends drop in for a quick visit. You can keep it on the stove or a crock-pot. Keep large mugs or bowls handy with a nice supply of shredded cheese, onions, jalapenos, sour cream
Authentic Italian Sausages by GoodLady
- Tasty Italian Sausage Recipe
It's the simplest, quickest recipe for sausage (with bay leaves + a dash of balsamic vinegar in the pan) - a real feast as brunch, lunch, a family supper or even as a dinner party meal.
More by this Author
A step by step recipe with pictures for making a one pot meal that includes; cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions.
Recipe for pork chops baked in the oven with cream of mushroom soup and potatoes. Very easy recipe to follow.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.