Pork Cottage Roll - Pork Recipe
What is a Pork Cottage Roll?
A pork cottage roll is from the pork shoulder. It is cured in a brine made with water, salt, sugar, sodium erythorbate, sodium tripolyphosphate, sodium nitrite. It is covered in a string mesh to hold together while the meat is cooking. Basically it is a pickled boneless pork shoulder roast.
How do you cook a Pork Cottage Roll?
There are various ways to cook the cottage roll. It can be smoked, boiled or baked. Another way to cook the meat is to first boil it for an hour, remove it from the pot and brush the meat with a sauce. You then bake it for half an hour in the oven.
Personally I like to boil mine as if I were making a corned beef and cabbage dinner.
What Does Pork Cottage Roll Taste Like?
If you are familiar with and like the taste of peameal bacon aka Canadian bacon, you'll like Cottage Roll. It is not as lean as peameal however. Now as far as the texture goes, it is somewhere in between peameal bacon and ham.
Pork Cottage Roll Dinner
- Pork Cottage Roll (The one pictured here below is slightly over 4 pounds)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves cut in half or quartered
- 14 peppercorns
- 1 large onion quartered and quartered again
- 5 carrots peeled and either cut into bite size pieces or quartered lengthwise
- 4-5 large potatoes washed and cut into serving sizes
- 1 small to medium cabbage cut into pieces
If you find that there is not enough room for all the vegetables in the pot the cabbage can be cooked at the last minute. Remove the pork cottage roll and set on a plate. After you've removed the mesh cover it with foil. Remove the carrots, potatoes, and onions and set in a covered dish to keep warm. Add the cabbage to the pot and cook on high for ten minutes. Cover the pot so the cabbage will cook faster.
Instructions - Let's Get Cooking
- Put the cottage roll into a large stock pot and cover with water.
- To the pot add the garlic cloves, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring all of this to a boil, cover and simmer for an hour. Check the roast periodically to make sure that the water is still covering the roast. If not add more water.
- While your cottage roll is cooking, clean, cut, and prepare the carrots, onion, potatoes and cabbage.
- After an hour add all of the prepared vegetables and bring to a light boil continuing to cook until the vegetables are cooked.
- Remove the cottage roll from the pot and remove the mesh by cutting and pulling it a bit.
- Remove vegetables and put into a serving dish.
- Slice the cottage roll, serve and ENJOY!
- Dijon or your favorite mustard goes quite nicely with the meat.
If this recipe looks like something you may like please rate it accordingly
Pork Cottage Roll
|Serving size: 1 (100 grams)|
|Calories from Fat||198|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 22 g||34%|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45%|
|Protein 13 g||26%|
|Cholesterol 65 mg||22%|
|Sodium 1090 mg||45%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Pork Cottage Roll
Have you ever had or cooked a pork cottage roll?See results without voting
The liquid that is left in the pot after everything is cooked and removed makes a great soup base that you may want to save for the following day.
Simply heat and add leftover meat from the cottage roll along with fresh frozen or leftover vegetables. If there are no leftovers make a chicken soup or a bean soup with the broth.
More by this Author
Delicious homemade ribs made with VH Strong Garlic cooking sauce. Two ingredient recipe complete with easy to follow instructions. Pictures included.
Recipe for pork chops baked in the oven with cream of mushroom soup and potatoes. Very easy recipe to follow.
Not using your silver or your silver flatware because it is tarnished and too hard to clean? With Tarn-X it can be shiny and looking brand new within minutes. See how easily I cleaned mine that is over 55 years old.