Pork Roast with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
White Potatoes vs Sweet Potatoes
Even though white potatoes and sweet potatoes have the same amount of carbs, sweet potatoes give you:
- Over 100% of your daily amount of vitamin A
- Are good sources for vitamin C
For potassium and folate, choose white potatoes.
The menu and recipes included here for this Sunday dinner are Pork Roast (loin, which is lean pork), Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, and Sugar Free Applesauce.
My husband and I are dieting and have chosen to try our best to eat foods with lower carbohydrates .For this meal I included white roasted potatoes for our sons. Next time I make this dinner I'll make more sweet potatoes and omit the white potatoes as everyone enjoyed them so much.
Cooking Instructions For the Pork Roast
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Rinse off the pork loin and insert the sliced garlic cloves. The roast I used was tied and I inserted all the cloves throughout the center of the roast. If you need tturo,make small slices in various places into the meat with a paring knife, and insert the garlic cloves.
- Place the meat onto a rack in a roasting pan or on top of celery ribs.
- Season with garlic powder and fresh ground pepper.
- Add water to the bottom of the pan so that the water is almost touching the meat.
- Add the potato halves around the roast.
- Place in the oven and cook for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer placed into the center of the roast reaches 160° - 170°F.
- Periodically check the roast to make sure that there is still water on the bottom of the pan adding more if necessary. At the same time turn the potatoes over.
Ingredients needed for the entire meal
- 4 pound boneless pork loin roast
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced
- garlic powder
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large sweet potato peeled (the one I cooked was just under one pound)
- 1 tbs. of olive oil
- 15 or more medium size Brussels sprouts
- 1 dollop of butter
- 4 Royal Gala apples peeled and cored
- 2 tbs.of lemon juice concentrate or the juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp. of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 3 medium potatoes washed and cut in half
Pork Loin Ready to go into the Oven
Pork Loin cooked and roasted
|Serving size: 85g|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Protein 22 g||44%|
|Cholesterol 62 mg||21%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Brussels Sprouts are a favorite at my house whether they are frozen or fresh. We do prefer fresh over frozen. A little trick I learned watching a cooking show one day was when preparing them cut an X on the stem in order to make them cook faster and more evenly.
- Place the washed and prepared sprouts into a pot and cover with water.
- When ready to cook them boil for approximately ten minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the water and add a dollop of butter placing back on the stove to melt the butter.
- Stir coating the Brussels sprout with the melted butter and serve when ready.
Sweet Potatoes Ready to go into the Oven
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into bite size pieces.
- In the bottom of an oven safe dish add the sweet potatoes.
- Coat the sweet potatoes with olive oil and season with marjoram, cinnamon and fresh ground pepper.
- An hour before the roast is cooked place the sweet potatoes into the oven.
Sugar Free Applesauce
- Peel, core and slice apples then put them into a medium size bowl.
- Coat with lemon juice.
- In a medium size sauce pan add the apples to the pan along with 1/4 cup of water.
- Place on medium high setting and bring to a boil.
- Add the ginger and cinnamon stirring well.
- Continue cooking until the apples are soft and easy to mash.
- Once cooked remove from heat and put into a serving bowl. I mashed the apples with a fork.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Ready to Serve
Dinner is Ready - Let's Eat!
Sweet Potatoes vs White Potatoes
Which do you prefer?See results without voting
Let me know what you think by rating accordingly
Thanks for visiting my hub today and if you'd like to read more of my recipes hubs or articles, please visit my profile page.
Have a great day!
More by this Author
A step by step recipe with pictures for making a one pot meal that includes; cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions.
Recipe for pork chops baked in the oven with cream of mushroom soup and potatoes. Very easy recipe to follow.
Not using your silver or your silver flatware because it is tarnished and too hard to clean? With Tarn-X it can be shiny and looking brand new within minutes. See how easily I cleaned mine that is over 55 years old.