Pork Taco Seasoning Recipe
Sure, you can head to the supermarket to pick up one of those yellow packages of premade ‘taco mix’ – but since making your own is better cheaper, and hardly more difficult – why pay more for second best?! (and second best is a stretch, actually, cause’ homemade taco seasoning is miles tastier than anything you can buy premade).
Here’s a recipe for a very tasty taco seasoning that goes perfectly with ground pork and that can be whipped up in a couple of minutes, mixed with some ground pork and sautéed straight into a waiting taco shell – and since the taco seasoning recipe calls for stuff you’ve more than likely already got in your spice rack at home – it even saves you the trip to the store to buy that inferior ready made mix.
This recipe is based loosely on a chorizo sausage recipe from BBQ guru, Steven Raichlen, I find that with a few minor adjustments, this makes a perfect taco filling.
Taco Seasoning Recipe
Makes enough to fill tacos for about 4 people. The recipe can easily be multiplied as needed.
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 and ½ tsps of salt
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 and ¼ tsps of ground cumin
- 2 Tbls of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of freshly cracked black pepper (If you’ve only got ground pepper, and aren’t going to freshly crack your own, I’d reduce this by about half)
- 1 Tbls of sweet paprika
- 1-2 Tbls of chili flakes (the heat of different chili flakes can vary pretty dramatically, as can individual preferences for heat – so you might want to start on the low end, and then taste when you do a test fry, adding more if wanted at that time.)
- Mix together the pork and all other ingredients.
- You can either just go ahead and fry this up for your tacos, or you can do a tset fry, and adjust seasonings if needed. To do a test fry, just grab a couple of Tbls of the meat mixture and sauté it in a little oil until done, and then taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Sautee it up in a heavy fry pan with a scant splash of oil and then spoon it into hard shell corn taco shells that you have at the ready.
*(note, while this is very good if used right away, mixing it up and then letting it come together in the fridge for an hour or so does improve the flavors.)
More Taco Recipes
- How to Make Tacos al Pastor
Make Tacos al Pastor, a Mexican classic, at home. Grilled pork in a chili marinade, with grilled pineapple, onions, clinatro and lime - tasty!
- Beer Battered Baja Fish Tacos Recipe
An easy recipe for making beer battered Baja style fish tacos at home. Detailed instructions on frying fish and making great tasting tacos!
- Braised Mexican Beef Recipe - Filling for Burritos, ...
Shredded beef is perfect in a variety of Mexican dishes. Here are detailed instructions on making very tasty Mexican shredded braised beef.
- Shrimp Taco Recipe. How to Make Mexican Shrimp Tacos...
Shrimp tacos can be made in about 10 minutes, only call for a handful of ingredients and are a perfect easy meal for one. They are also one of the best Mexican meals you'll ever make for yourself!
More by this Author
Frijoles refritos - the beany soul of the Mexican kitchen, something that is so often served as a bland afterthought - but that when made well can well and truly steal the show! You can use either pinto beans or...
Crunchy Chimichangas are fantastic. Take that restaurant favorite home with this easy recipe and intructions for chicken chimichangas.
A lot of people have trouble with meat. They like the idea of a great steak, and they have a general notion that the more expensive the steak, the better it is…but more than that…who knows?! I...