Potato Salad a South African Version
Potato Salad - What would Spring Be Without It
This magical salad, a really great all year round salad, is a deluxe version of the potato salad that I made every other day whilst working in a German Sausage shop in sunny South Africa.
You ask what are the differences, that make up the deluxe version and why.
The major differences in this version is that In this version I use my Homemade Mayonnaise
The other item that is different is that I add a boiled egg or two for that extra touch of something different.
While I was over in Ireland in 2002, during the Soccer World Cup, I came across a very versatile potato, which over there is called a Rooster, I suppose this is after the colour of the potato skin, I did not ask.
This potato also has a slightly orange flesh and a much firmer texture than that of the other 'common' varieties of potatoes. As I was staying in a bed and breakfast I did not rush out and try some of these new potatoes.
I ended up one evening at an hotel and was having a meal, which had boiled potatoes as the accompanying starch with the meat. I noticed the slightly yellow colour and asked the waitress if these were indeed those Roosters that I had seen in the market place. This was the case and was pleasantly surprised at the subtle difference in taste and texture to the normal varieties.
I am pleased that i am able to obtain them in South Africa, although they are called Rosas over here, but they are the same.
Down to the Ingredeints
A Potato Calculator Ideal for Soups Stews and Salads
No family should be without one of these, rather inexpensive and easy to use Irish Potato Calculator - invaluable in calculating how many potatoes are required for any meal.
You hold up your left hand, palm facing you, place your thumb against the palm of your hand.
Instructions for use
- Close your fingers into the palm of your hand
- Lift up a finger for each person you are catering for,
- When you have lifted up all your fingers,
- And there are still people to count.
- Do the same with your right hand.
- If you still have people to count then remember who you still have to count.
As an example their are eight people that are being catered for.
- You have eight fingers in the air.
- Now close the middle two fingers of each hand, and then you have four fingers in the air, right?
- Add the 4 and the 8 and you have twelve.
Therefore you will need 12 potatoes for a family of eight.
There is a much simpler method, for every person allow 1 and a half potatoes.
Various Types of Potatoes
The selection of a potato is important
Top is the Rosa or Rooster which I have gone into great detail about. Except to tewll you this is the most versatile as you can do all types of cooking with it.
Bake, Fry, Boil, Mash
The large one next to it is a Van Der Plank, other cultivars suitable are BP1, Mondail, UTD. Of course a potato this size would score as 1 and 1/2 normal potatoes.
Finally, and a great favourite of mine for potato salad as well, is baby potatoes. here you would allow 4 to six potatoes per person.
I do not know the names and suitability of any other countries potatoes, so chevk with your green grocer for a good boiling or mashing type of potato.
I bet you all thought a potato was a potato - you where wrong.
Boil Then Remove The Potato Skins
What is Required
1 large onion
2 hard boiled eggs
1 teaspoon of parsley
1 cup (250ml) of Home Made Mayonnaise or even supermarket types
2 teaspoons of prepared German Mustard
Salt to taste
Base Ingredients For A Good Potato Salad
How It Is Put Together
- Boil the required nunber of potatoes until cooked, but not too soft.
- Boil the eggs for 8 minutes and then place them in cold water to cool down
- Allow the potatoes to cool down to a temperature so that you can can comfortably handle them
- Peel the skins off the potatoes
- Peel the eggs
- Dice the potatoes into quarters or smaller if you so choose, however if you are using baby potatoes just cut them in half, across the width
- Place in a large mixing bowl
- Grate or dice the eggs, the choice is yours
- Grate or finely chop the onion
- Add these to the potatoes and mix them together
- In a smaller mixing bowl combine the Mayonnaise with Mustard and add to egg, onion and potato
- Mix well and sprinkle the parsley and salt to taste.
There is your basic potato salad, place in refrigerator and serve well chilled.
Ring Out Some Changes
Tired of this as a family standby, then take it for a makeover.
Add Crisp Bacon Bits and Garlic Croutons - Mix in before serving
Sliced Spicy Sausage and Grilled Garlic - Mix in either the night before or when serving
Slivers of smoked turkey or chicken with some sliced gherkins - mix in night before or before serving
Make the Salad while potatoes are hot substitute the mayo for a drizzle of Olive Oil and lemon juice serve warm
Cold mini meatballs added the night before
For a Vegan Potato Salad
Substitute the mayonnaise with Apricot egg free mayonnaise, be careful to remove the eggs from the potato salad recipe as it wont be Vegan then.
You could even toss in some of the Chickpea lentil burgers into the salad, just make up smaller Balls.
See them here Egg-Free-Recipes
More by this Author
A pickled and smoked pork hock, the skin grilled it to a golden brown brittly crunch. Served with mustard sauerkrauet and boiled potatotoes. A German Speciality.
Memeories from childhood, frugality a its best. Makiing use of scraps to produce a three different tasty treats. Lessons fro the 50's which my father had learned in in the 30's when frugality was the order of the...