Potato, Cabbage, Carrot and Leek Soup Recipe
What do you think of the Potato Leek Soup?
Potato, Leek, Carrot and Cabbage Soup Recipe
I have made this soup a handful of times and have augmented the Test Kitchen Cookbook's recipe to make it my own. It's absolutely delicious and leeks are good right now. Pair it with a large salad and homemade bread. It's also great as a leftover; the flavors actually become more intense. It can be frozen in a freezer safe container for one month.
A Healthier Potato Leek Soup
Test Kitchen Cookbook calls for 6 Tablespoons. I reduce this and add a bit of water when sweating the leeks for a more healthy soup. Be careful that you don't burn the leeks with the reduced amount of butter. You can also substitute some of the butter with olive oil.)
- 4 or 5 medium sized leeks, rinse thoroughly, use only white and light green portion, cut off dark green
- 1/2 large head cabbage (not red), chopped and rinsed ( I put leeks and cabbage in a large bowl to wash off excess dirt)
- 1 and 1/2 cups peeled carrots, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 and 3/4 lbs potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (I use fingerling potatoes, but red potatoes are also good
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspooon fresh chives, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch salt and pepper, to tast
- Melt the butter in a large dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat. Stir in the leeks, garlic and cabbage. Cover and cook until the leaks and cabbage are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. This process of sweating the leeks before liquid is added is a crucial part of the recipe. The amount of leeks and cabbage will cook down substantially.
- Stir in the broth, potatoes, carrots, thyme, chives, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Smash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot to thicken the soup. Discard bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
More by this Author
A guide to making your own homemade jam with step by step instructions, photos and video.
My very favorite and best chicken and cheese enchilada recipe.
Harvesting honey from your hive is a fun and exciting endeavor. Photos, videos, and step by step instructions to extracting honey from your backyard hive.