Prosciutto, Balsamic Sauteed Red Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza
How to Create A Custom Pizza With Taste
This summer has taken on multiple dimensions in my kitchen.
I have been experimenting with different recipes, all have been fun and most have turned out pretty good.
The one dish I would never have thought I would be developing is pizza!
Now I'm not against pizza, but most of the stuff you buy around town is pretty bad stuff. The commercial chains really make some horrible stuff (my opinion), and there are only a few out there really making quality pizza.
This dish can be very creative and vesatile and delicious. You don't have to be "rocket scientist" with this dish. In fact, if you follow some basic techniques, you can deliver some great meals with pizza.
This is not a serious dish, mind you, but is a dish that you can serve that is universally appreciated. You can get serious with your adult friends while making a pepperoni and olive pizza for the kids, and they will appreciate it too!
I kind of look at pizza as having 3 basic building blocks:
1) Pizza Dough, 2) Pizza Sauce, and 3) Fresh Ingredients or Toppings
Here's the recipe
Prosciutto, Balsamic Sauteed Red Onion, and Goat Cheese Pizza Recipe
1) The first step is to make your dough. If you haven't made dough from scratch, don't let it worry you. With a little practice and a few techniques, you can master a great pizza dough (please see link bottom of page for hints for this step).
2) Secondly, apply your favorite pizza sauce (store bought pizza sauce isn't all that bad).
3) Fresh Ingredients for Topping
Sauteed Red Onion With Balsamic (see below for preparation)
Using medium heat and medium saucepan, add extra virgin olive oil to coat pan. Add red onion that has been halved and cut into rings. As onion sweats down, add salt and pepper to flavor. As onion cooks down, most of moisture will evaporate. Add balsamic vingegar to rehydrate the onion. Keep working with onion and turn periodically until finished. I add a little sugar to the onion to tame the acidity of the vinegar. You should get a nicely flavored onion sautee and should look carmelized as finish product.
Preparation And Steps
1. Coat pizza dough with nice layer of homemade sauce. I usually will take baking spoon and spread sauce in circular motion, working your way around the surface of pizza dough.
2. Liberally apply fresh mozzarella to the pizza pie and spread evenly.
3. Layer proscuitto around pizza
4. Sauteed red onion is next. Apply evenly around pizza and decorate in between prosciutto.
5. Take goat cheese by fingers and tear off clumps (not too big) and apply on top of pizza.
Once ingredients are finished, you will be very proud of your creation. It should have a lot of color, texture and robustness that will get the attention of everyone in the room that is remotely hungry.
If you want to add some heat to your pizza, add some crushed red pepper!
"Pizza Dough For Rookies" by Philzgrill
- Pizza Dough For Rookies
For those who have yet to make their first pizza dough
"Pizza Sauce For Rookies" by Philzgrill
- Pizza Sauce For Rookies
For those who need help making their own pizza sauce
No comments yet.