Provolone Terrine--vegetarian appetizer with layers of cheese and basil pesto
I love Baseball.
I am planning a Super Bowl party.
Two diametrically opposed thoughts.
No, I'm not having a senior moment. I understand that the Super Bowl is football, not America's "greatest sport". But, I live in the Pacific Northwest, and our Seahawks are going to the Super Bowl. Sounds like a great excuse for a party (even if I don't understand the game of football).
So my husband is extending invitations, and I'm planning the food (who's doing the heavy lifting here?)
- 1/2 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 lb. provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- garlic cream sauce (recipe below)
Garlic cream sauce
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup almonds, walnuts, or pinenuts
Combine cream cheese, butter, and garlic in bowl of food processor. Blend until combined and smooth. Stir in nuts.
- Line a 4x8-inch loaf pan with dampened cheesecloth (soak the cloth and then wring out).
- Cut provolone slices in half. Slightly overlapping slices, cover bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of the loaf pan (use about 1/2 of the cheese). Divide the remaining half of the cheese into 3 equal portions and set aside.
Now, begin layering as follows:
- Spread one-half of the pesto over the provolone in the pan.
- Cover pesto with 1/3 of the remaining provolone.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of the tomatoes
- Spread garlic cream over the tomatoes
- Sprinkle remaining tomatoes over the garlic cream
- Cover with 2nd third of provolone
- Spread remaining pesto over the provolone
- Lay remaining provolone over the pesto.
Fold cheesecloth over the loaf; press gently with your hands to compact.
Chill about 2 hours. Fold back cloth, invert on serving plate and unmold. Remove cheesecloth. Serve with toasted baguette or crackers.
Super Bowl Food
What is your favorite food to have when watching Super Bowl?See results without voting
© 2014 Carb Diva
More by this Author
Salsa—Not just a Tex-Mex dip. Salsa is a heart-healthy mix of fruits and vegetables with so many flavor combinations. I'll show you how to make a salsa you will love.
Party (Chex) mix is a popular easy-to-make snack. Here are some new flavor ideas--perfect for your Super Bowl Sunday gathering.
How to make a straightforward, uncomplicated loaf of white bread, perfect for sandwiches, toast, or to simply enjoy fresh with butter and jam. What could be better?
No comments yet.