Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
This recipe uses canned pumpkin with vanilla ice cream to make a great fall-themed ice cream pie. Don't wait for September, October or November for this pie: it is great served during the hot summer months as well.
Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (or use fresh, steamed mashed pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste, optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cloves
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
Graham cracker pie crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Optional: Any of these ingredients - whipped cream, caramel sauce, chopped pecans (or whole pecans), sprinkle of cinnamon
- Prepare the pie crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir in a mixing bowl the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press this mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust is set and very lightly browned (do not overbake). Remove from the oven, and let the crust cool completely before filling.
- Beat the mashed or canned pumpkin with the sugar, salt (if using), cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves (if using) until well blended and no lumps remain.
- Add in the softened ice cream and stir well.
- Transfer the pie filling into the prebaked graham cracker pie crust, and level the ice cream filling.
- Place in the freezer and freeze until the ice cream gets hard again, at least 8 hours.
- Serve frozen. For easier cutting, pull the ice cream pie out of the freezer 10 to 15 minutes before cutting it.
- Garnish the pie with whipped cream, caramel sauce, chopped pecans, or a sprinkle of cinnamon before serving.
More by this Author
You don't need a special embroidery machine to do machine embroidery. Machine embroidery can be done with a standard sewing machine. Here are the steps to complete the task.
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...