Stir Fry Noodles- Malaysian Style
Please spare 1 minute to cast your vote, thanks!
How often do you eat instant noodles?See results without voting
Food is our common ground, a universal experience.— James Beard
Brief story of Maggie Mee
In Malaysia and Singapore, you may find most of the people of all races preferred to dine at Mamak (Indian) restaurants for a cheap Fried Instant Noodles also known as Fried Maggie Mee.
The term "MAggie Mee" was used due to the fact that the brand "Maggie" was very famous in the old days and the cheapest instant noodles you can find compare to fresh yellow noodles.
A whole packet of Maggie Mee consisting of 5 indidvidual packets that comes with Curry seasoning sachet may cost RM2.89 ( USD 0.85-$1.03 ) which is very cheap, convenient and affordable for any working class people.
At the MAMAK restaurant, they usually use the MAGGIE brand, maybe they had a deal with the company and had their signboard sponsored by MAGGIE too.
Anyway, if you dine at these MAMAK restaurant, the chef do add in extra green chillies , slices of fried chicken, shreds of cabbage and lots of mashed garlic but the flavor isn't curry seasoning. It is the special chilli sauce that had been used. A late of Fried Maggie Mee may cost RM4.50 per plate compare to 60 cents of the original price of the instant noodles.
Buy Indomie Instant Noodles
Stir Fry Noodles For Lunch
Last weekend, my kids wanted to have a simple lunch, get it ready in the shortest time available as they were hungry after an early morning breakfast of "DIM SUM"
Neither of us wanted to dine outside and daddy wanted to save money on petrol of meals, so I decided to myself busy in the kitchen with the ready made instant noodles which I had learned from the Mamak restaurant.
You can try any brans of the instant noodles available at your vicinity. The cheapest we could get here is TESCO brand and MAGGIE at the cost of RM2.89- RM3.50 for 5 individual packets.
2 packets could serve at least 3 persons but if you want to have some extra servings, go to 3 packets and a sachet of Curry seasoning. DO not use more than that as the seasoning is salty and lots of MSG included.
TESCO brand may taste extra salty but the instant noodles are pretty thin, dry and delicate.
Whereas MAGGIE brand tasted just right although the instant noodles are a little thick and spongy.
- All instant noodles are supposed to be cooked as curry soup or lain fried noodles depending on the seasoning or taste available.
- However, I would advise you to soak the noodles in a pot under running ta water for 10 min and boil them until al dante. Then, drain the cooked noodles and briefly wash with ta water.
- The reason behind this purpose is to get rid of the extra coating of seasoning applied onto the instant noodles during packaging time.
- As for the sachet seasoning, do not use the whole sachet for a person serving. Cut the seasoning into half sachet to reduce the salty and high MSG flavor.
- For additional ingredients, you could add in cabbages, mustard greens, carrot sticks for more nutrition. Besides that, I wanted to add more meaty flavor into this simple meal with hotdog, fried chicken fillets or prawns, depending on whatever meat is available in the fridge.
Easy Stir Fry Noodle Malaysian tyle
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: 3-4 persons
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/4 carrot, cut into strips
- 100g chicken breast or fillet, cut into strips
- 1 sachet curry seasoning
- 2 packets Maggie Mee Curry Noodles, soaked into water
- 1 egg, Grade A , beaten
- some pepper
Boil the noodles
How to prepare instant noodles
Buy a Plastic Colander
How to cook Fried Instant Noodles
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Dip in 2 packets of instant noodles. Boil until soften. Remove noodles. Transfer noodles into a strainer and let cold tap water run through the noodles to avoid them from sticking to each other. Drain dry.
Cut the Vegetables
2. Cut the vegetables (optional ) into convenient pieces.
You could use cabbage, mustard seeds, Bak Choy or bean sprouts, whichever you prefer.
Peel off the carrot skins and cut into strips.
Fry the Chicken
- Cut chicken breast into chunks.
- Beat an egg in a bowl. Dip in each chicken strips into the beaten egg and coat well.
- Heat up wok with a little oil.
- Deep fry chicken strips until cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Cut the cooked chicken into thinner strips
- With the remaining oil, fry a shredded egg. Remove and set aside.
- This is additional egg is to be added later in the instant noodles.
Sauté garlic and onions
- Add 1 tbsp oil in the wok.
- Stir fry garlic and onion until aromatic.
- Add in carrot and vegetables (optional).
- Stir fry until almost cooked.
If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.— Mother Teresa
Add in noodles
- Add in instant noodles. Keep stir frying until well combined.
- Pour in the seasoning. Keep stirring until well combined.
- Add in cooked chicken breast and shredded eggs.
- Add a dash or two of pepper and a little salt. Keep stirring until well combined.
- Garnish with diced spring onion and fried shallots.
Step by Step Video on How to Fry Maggie Mee
Do you prefer dry or soup type?See results without voting
I LOVE Stir Fry Noddles because it is EASY to COOK !
Ready to eat Stir Fry Noodles
Try these simple stir fry recipes:
- Tom Yam Beehoon ( Rice Vermicelli )
Rice vermicelli is commonly known as "beehoon" or "bihun" locally. It is low in cholesterol, non-oily, blends well with any ingredients such as meat, vegetables and read-made paste. You can cook rice vermicelli either in soup or stir fry which is the
- 5 Easy Malaysian Fried Rice Recipes
Fried rice is one of the staple cuisine in Asian countries. People love to eat fried rice as it is filling and comes in various ingredients that makes the fried rice extra special.
- Egg Recipe : Eggs With Minced Meat
Scrambled eggs are plain and boring, try adding minced meat for a change. Aromatic eggs , nice and easy
- Malaysian Fried Hokkien Noodles Recipe
Fried Yellow Noodles also known as Fried Hokkien mee or “Char mee” is one of the well-known stir-fry dish in Chinese community in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. It is one of the best delicacies in hawker stalls because this dish is inexpensive and t
© 2010 peachy
More by this Author
Celebrate St.Patrick's Day with easy Irish Stew from Martha Stewart. It is the easiest stew recipe I had every cooked. Just put everything inside the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Hearty and awesome.
Malaysian Burgers are street burgers, better than McD or KFC. They are cheaper, easy to prepare and tasty. RAMLI burger is the best burger in town with different flavor; beef, chicken or mutton
Toddlers and kids love to imitate other kids and parents behaviors. Repeating and mimicking everything is their learning ability, curiosity to learn evrything they want to know