Tortilla Bowls, and Squash Strips, Frugal Meals
November 8, 2010 Updated August 14, 2014
The author will not be held responsible for any injury due to someone attempting to cook homemade tortilla bowls. This should be done by an adult or supervised. Oil is very hot. Allow all surfaces and foods to cool enough not to burn anyone. Turn off all fire, and heat sources when done cooking. Practice safety specifications and obey all of the laws of your state or country.
Cooking At Home Saves Money
Learning how to make delicious meals at home is an excellent way to save money, and draw the household closer.
After spending a long day at the office, or on the construction site, it is enlivening to get a whiff of something wonderful coming from the house as you walk up to the door. It is a way of showing love, when your family or friends walk into the house, and they experience the beautiful smells coming from the kitchen.
Being the cook - does not mean you must suffer and slave. It is better to work smarter not harder. The suggestions given here can be completed in about 30 minutes, depending on how many people you are attempting to feed.
In the North America, within the past few decades we are dependent on the automatic, aromatic fair that has been sacked up, slurped up, super-sized up, and ready for us instantly.
Fast food is generally highly processed, with additives to assure longevity of shelf life. When we take a chance on eating food from take-out, and restaurants, the food sources are mostly unknown.
This way of eating is not healthy or ultimately satisfying.
Cooking and eating at home feels healthier, and it is more satisfying. When eating out, it is a common experience, that no matter how much you eat, in minutes, you will find that you are hungry again quickly.
It Is Important To Use Safety First In The KitchenClick thumbnail to view full-size
Cooking At Home Boosts Usable Income
Home Cooking - Is a good way to help our personal finances, cooking at home can be nutritious, quick and much more satisfying. Listed below are some old myths about cooking at home.
- Good Meals have to taste boring, and take a long time.
- If I don't do it like my Mother it cannot be right.
- Follow "cooking instructions" to the 'T' and your food will come out perfect.
- Only people who have attended a culinary arts school can create beautiful meals
- Nutritionists are the only ones who know how to arrange meals
** A Good Beginner Cook Book is the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It is a Hard Back, in Notebook form, and easy to use. Older versions are often at second-hand stores and yard sales.
The first thing when beginning in the kitchen is to start with a clean surface. As a beginner, it helped me to get all of the ingredients called for in a recipe, before starting.
For the Very Organized, Getting ingredients and storing them in order of use in the recipe, will make the whole cooking project go smoother.
After each ingredient has been used, and there is no other call for it - PUT IT AWAY right then. Each dish or spoon you dirty, get a bowl of hot dishwater in a large bowl. Clean as you go. Put a little towel to dry your washed items.
Give yourself permission to rest. By cleaning as you cook, by the time the meal is complete, the clean up is mostly done!
You will have the perfect roast meat to shred for use in your Taco Bowls!
The **roast pork for a meal cost about **$16.00 for a 3 LB roast on sale. We added 4 Medium Red potatoes, some onion and garlic. Total cost $23.00 for the first meal, with the leftovers, we can make two meal, and plenty left over.
Fajitas Bowls are made with tortillas. The dozen is $2.00. We are making 6 Fajitas Bowls. Cost $1.00 in tortillas.Oil is $2.00 for 6 meals, = 30 cents in oil . .75 cents in cheese. .35 cents in garlic. Leftover Roast = Priceless!
**Note: When I first wrote this article in 2010, a three pound beef roast, could be gotten in Arkansas, for around $3.00, today in August of 2014, it would run about $25.00, that is a big jump.
- Stainless Steel Fry Basket Deep fryer - (Please read all safety instructions and do not operate in an unsafe manner. Oil is hot). Clean oil - Small flour tortillas - Heat oil to 375 ° - For your cooker, you may have to adjust temps up or down. Cup the tortilla in fry basket. Use tongs or grabbers to gently lower bowls into hot oil. This is the most time consuming. Each bowl takes 1 - 2 minutes to cook.
- .•As soon as they are a light brown , lift basket from hot oil carefully, and remove!
- •Carefully set each bowl to drain
- •Let the basket drain carefully over deep fryer.
- •On Heat resistant plate or platter, use a double thickness of paper towels, or 6 Coffee Filters.
- Put a pinch of cheese into the bottom of the newly made bowls.
- Add shredded roast, then veggies , and of course more cheese .
- Now, think outside of the bowl
Add Color; One Way To Cook Butternut SquashClick thumbnail to view full-size
6 Tortillas, are about a dollar
6 Fajitas Bowls are made with tortillas.
- The dozen is $2.00. We are making 6 Fajitas Bowls. Cost $1.00 in tortillas.
- Oil is $2.00 for 6 meals, = 30 cents in oil.
- 1/2 cup of cheese. approx .75 cents in cheese.
- .35 cents in garlic,
- 2 Cups Left over Roast - Priceless
- 6 Tortillas, Flour
- 1/2 cup Oil, Vegetable
- 1 cup Cheese, go wild
- 2 cups Roast, pre-cooked
- 1 Squash, Acorn
Make Homemade Tortillas
Homemade Food Hit The Spot
There is nothing better when making homemade Mexican Food, than making your own tortillas. For any of you that have experience with making biscuits, if you do it often (daily) it becomes very easy to make beautiful hand patted bread for you and your household.
Small taco bows & squash strips
More by this Author
Testament is a sculpture of The Little Rock 9 (Nine), it lies east of the front of the Arkansas State Capitol. John Deering is the sculptor.
All of us know or are related to those who are poor and struggling. There are ways to give and help those at a disadvantage, that give dignity and a wealth of goodness
These love songs from the 1960's had us swooning in love. Love to die for, to the death. Years later I realize they are stalking songs. Songs I still mostly love.