Healthy Oatmeal And Cranberry Snack Recipe: Healthy Oat Bars With Dried Cranberries And Sour Cream
OAT BAR RECIPE WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES AND SOUR CREAM
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 cup of extremely finely chopped walnuts or almonds
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons orange juice – add zest if you wish
- 1-1/3 cups dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 large egg white slightly beaten
- Cooking Spray
MAKING OAT CRANBERRY BARS
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
For the crust:
- Spoon flour into measuring cup to measure out. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, salt baking soda, cinnamon and nuts in a medium bowl and stir well with a whisk.
- Drizzle butter and orange juice over the flour mixture stirring until it is moistened. (the mixture will be crumbly).
Reserve 1/2 cup of oat mixture.
Press the remainder of the oat mixture into the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
For the Filling:
- Combine all the filling ingredients (cranberries, sour cream, sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, vanilla, orange zest and 1 large egg white) in a medium bowl, stirring well.
- Spread the cranberry mixture over the prepared crust.
- Sprinkle your reserved oat mixture evenly over the filling.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
The Benefits of Cranberries
Cranberries are becoming very popular for baking in place of raisins or other dried fruits. They are being used as a topping for salads and incorporated into many recipes as their health benefits become more well known. Here are just a few of the health benefits of cooking with cranberries and adding them to your daily diet.
- Cranberry is felt to reduce the risk of heart disease as it works on low density lipoprotein and inhibits its oxidation
- Cranberry is known to be beneficial in preventing urinary tract infections caused by bacteria
- Cranberry has proven effective in anti-cancer studies in the prevention of cancer
- Cranberry's specific acid can aid in the prevention of kidney stone formation
- Cranberry inhibits bacterial growth which causes dental plaque
- Cranberry has been shown to provide asthma relief
- Cranberry has been shown to increase circulation
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Almond Granola Bars
More Cranberry Oatmeal Recipes
The Mighty Cranberry
More by this Author
Caramel corn isn't that hard to make. In fact, it's very simple and oh so delicious. Try it and you'll be hooked and never buy store bought caramel corn again.
I think these are the best light recipe I've discovered for oatmeal cookies! I found this recipe in the wonderful cookbook I would review as definitely The Best Light Recipe by cooks.com. However, I changed my recipe up...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE38
How to get your pet de-skunked, pronto. Foolproof ways to get the odor out after your dog or other pet has been sprayed by a skunk.