Quick And Easy Enchilada Recipes: Black Bean And Cheese Enchiladas
Quick and Easy Recipes: Black Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
I always say that necessity is the mother of invention. On a cold and rainy evening this week on a day that went by without budgeting time for cooking dinner, I suddenly became aware that dinnertime was fast approaching and I had nothing in mind!
Enter recipe creation. In just minutes, I summed up what I did have on hand and based on an old recipe that I use for crowds but is much more labor intensive, I improvised.
The result was just as wonderful and I am pleased to say the resulting black bean and cheese enchiladas were marvelous!
You can change up this recipe any way you'd like or use my other recipe for enchiladas when you aren't pressed for time.
Either way, this is a great recipe for a great quick and easy dinner making enchiladas in more of a casserole or lasagna style than traditional.
Black Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
This recipe turns out more like a casserole as you can see in the picture above rather than traditional enchiladas but it is just as tasty.
- 2 cans of black beans or 1 large tall can, drained, rinsed, drained
- 1 package of corn tortillas (I used Trader Joe's homemade)
- 1 jar of salsa
- 2 cups of nonfat milk
- 1 can diced (not drained) tomatoes
- 2 cups or so of low-fat cheese (I used mozzarella and it was delicious)
- Cooking spray
- Green onions if desired
- Sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray inside of large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat tortillas in microwave covered with paper towels for about 2 minutes. You want them warm and pliable.
- Depending on size of casserole dish, layer 3 or 4 warm corn tortillas in bottom of dish. My casserole dish was rounded, so I used as many as necessary to cover the bottom and then tore or cut parts of tortilla to cover any bare spots.
- Layer rinsed drained black beans over the tortillas. Add some green onions or even green chilies if desired sprinkled on top of beans.
- Layer/sprinkle cheese over this layer evenly.
- Repeat the layers until all the tortillas are used, the beans are used, and the cheese is used.
- Mix together in 4 cup or larger measuring cup milk, salsa and diced tomatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Pour over the other ingredients in the casserole dish. Do not stir - just let the liquid absorb into the tortilla stacks.
- If desired, you can add a wee bit of cheese sprinkled on top during the last few minutes of baking. I didn't and it was perfectly delicious without extra cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 350 degree oven for about 35-45 minutes or until you can smell the aroma of black bean and cheese enchiladas permeating your house!
Weight Watchers Recipe for Cheese & Chili Enchiladas
Tips on Black Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
This recipe was so easy I couldn't believe it and it turned out deliciously.
Some other tips I'll try in the future:
- Use other types of cheese such as cheddar or white cheddar or a combination
- Use pinto beans instead of black beans
- Use white beans instead of black beans
- Use kidney beans instead of black beans
- Add shredded chicken, beef or pork between layers along with the beans and use less beans
- Use finely chopped sweet onions or shallots instead of green onions
- Use finely diced green chilies
- Use small flour tortillas although in this particular recipe I prefer corn tortillas
- Substitute green salsa for the red salsa for a more verde flavor
- Add chili powder or chipotle granules to spice up the flavor
- For garnish, have sour cream, sliced avocados and extra tomatoes or tomatillos on the side
Weight Watchers Mexican Lasagna
More Great Quick and Easy Hispanic Dishes
- Healthy Recipe for Pork Tenderloin Nachos
Nachos is a favorite for many people - for dinner or for a snack/appetizer. With this healthy recipe for Pork Tenderloin Nachos, you can eliminate the guilt of making nachos or eating them! This is a recipe...
- The Tex-Mex of Fusion Cuisine
Flautas The Tex-Mex of Fusion Cuisine will describe the terms of fusion cuisine and Tex-Mex; and then provide some delightful recipes. Fusion cuisine or as it is playfully termed confusion cuisine is...
- How to Make Queso Fundido. An Appetizer of Mexican M...
A glorious Mexican melted cheese appetizer! Queso fundido is a restaurant staple that you can and should make at home. Easy instructions and tips.
- Healthy Recipes: Baked Chicken Flautas
As you may know by now, I am a recipe collector - but my main focus is finding recipes that are 'classics' and then either revamping them or finding them already in the state of 'healthy recipes'. Not...
- Chipotle Chicken and Sweet Potato Flautas Recipe
Chipotle sweet potato and chicken flautas - and easy, spicy and authentic Mexican meal that you can make in minutes!
- Enjoy Easy Mexican Meals at Home with Mission Tortil...
Are you a fan of Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine? You don't have to go to a restaurant to enjoy the foods you love it home. Even novice cooks can make easy work of preparing your favorite Mexican meals at home...
- Quick and easy meatless recipes
Sometimes I feel the need to go inexpensive and meatless. Unfortunately, you can't always do both at the same time. I have a few recipes that are inexpensive, meatless, and easy to make. I don't...
- Quick And Easy Chili With Beans
Here is a quick and easy recipe for Chili with Beans. With winter and cold weather coming soon I start thinking about soups and start trying to come up with some new delicious soup recipes. I have a lot of...
- Quick and Easy Dinner Recipes - Mexican Style
If you keep a batch of seasoned taco meat in the freezer, a quick and easy dinner is only a few minutes away. Seasoned taco meat is very versatile, and can easily be used to create interesting and delicious...
- 3 Easy Mexican Dip Recipes
Are you looking for a delicious dip recipe for an upcoming party? Whether you're going to a Cinco de Mayo celebration or if you're preparing an appetizer for any occasion, one of these delicious Mexican dip...
- Easy Mexican Rice and Refried Beans!
If you watch as many cooking shows as I do, you know it's a lot about the time that appears to go into making a meal that impresses people the most. I have some basic recipes for stuff that will make you...
- How to Make Mexican Chicken Flautas. An Easy Mexican...
The most famous Mexican dishes, served everywhere in restaurants outside of Mexico - are almost never served in restaurants inside of Mexico. What many of us know as Mexican food (tacos, enchiladas etc.) is...
- Quick and Easy Mexican Lasagna
This is a recipe that I have use many times. In fact, most of our friends request it when they visit. It's really simple and easy so you can enjoy your company instead being stuck in the kitchen. Mexican...
More by this Author
Tarragon Chicken is actually a French dish and is really called Poulet a l’Estragon. If that's too much of a mouthful, then just call it Tarragon Chicken! This is one of my favorite recipes to make for company...
Looking for high fiber recipes? Or even recipes higher in fiber? This meatloaf is a wonderful way to increase fiber in your diet but do it painlessly. Even though it is high fiber, it is delicious. ...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE17
EMDR therapy is proving very successful in dealing with many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how you can self-administer EMDR therapy any time and any place.