Navy Bean Ham Soup Recipe
Marie Callendar's Navy Bean Soup
Healthy Recipe for Soup
Need a healthy meal for your family? Try this easy quick cook Navy Bean Soup Recipe that I created to imitate my favorite Marie Callendar's meal. I like to eat it with sweet cornbread and honey butter. Here are some tips:
- Quick Meal: For a meal in 30 minutes, used canned navy beans.
- Best Taste and Nutrition: If you want to make an even tastier meal from scratch, use dried beans and follow my step by step photo instructions for Quick Cooking White Beans without soaking.
- Variations: To keep my recipe low fat, I use cut up 97% fat-free ham, but you can also add a ham hock or leftover ham scraps to make this version even tastier. You can also add other vegetables and even a 1/2 cup of white wine for fuller taste.
Cook Time for Navy Bean Soup
Ingredients for Navy Bean and Ham Soup
- 1 lb dry navy beans, or 2 cans drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup carrots and/or celery, chopped
- 1 TB garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs like Rosemary, Basil, Sage, Chives, or 2 TB dried herb mix
- 1/2 cup low fat ham, cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken boullion, or to taste
- 1 tea. pepper, or to taste
- 1-2 fresh or 1 16 oz can chopped tomatoes, optional--add at end
Navy Bean and Ham Soup Instructions
- If using canned beans, total cooking time is 20-30 minutes. Drain beans put in a pot with 1 cup water and move to step 3.
- For dried beans: Quick cook dried white beans by covering with cold water, boiling for 2 minutes, covering with a lid and letting sit for 20 minutes or more. Drain water off. Then, cover beans with cold water again. Make sure there is at least 1" of water on top.
- Add onion carrots/celery, ham, and herbs (any mix of fresh or dried, you can use Herbes de Provence or Italian). Don't add salt or bouillon yet--it will make bePut back on medium heat and simmer gently for 1-2 hours or until beans are soft.
- Add dried chicken bouillon, pepper and more herbs to taste. If you want soup thicker, you can remove 1 cup of beans and mash them with a fork, then put them back in the pan and mix.
- Optional: add 1-2 chopped tomatoes or 1 can of chopped tomatoes and heat until just boiling (don't add until the end).
Navy Bean and Ham Soup RecipeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Navy Bean and Ham Soup
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 48 g||16%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 19 g||76%|
|Protein 17 g||34%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Like Pei Wei Honey chicken? Quick, easy and low fat method for cooking Chinese honey chicken. Includes recipes for Orange chicken, Kung Pao, Sweet and Sour, Perfect Rice and Easy Chinese Noodles.
Review of Krusteaz Cookie Mixes, tips for how to use them and recipe for 20 minute double chocolate chunk cookies using Chocolate Cookie mix.
Want to write a great argument paper, fast? Try one of these easy topics. You'll also find links to research ideas, writing tips, and sample essays.