How to Make Quick and Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Butternut Squash Soup - See the Recipe Below
Easy Butternut Squash Soup - slightly sweet, eat it hot or cold
Not long ago, my brother gave me a butternut squash. I wasn't sure what to do with it, and left it lying around for a couple of weeks, intending to look up a recipe. I was lucky really that it didn't start to rot before I had the chance to use it. Squash seems to be a long-lasting vegetable.
I never did get round to looking up butternut squash recipes, and eventually I asked my sister how to cook it
Her instant and enthusiastic reply was to tell me how to make this simple butternut squash soup, which she assured me was delicious. I wasn't all that keen on trying it out, as she said it was slightly sweet, but as it sounded easy, I thought I'd chance it, tailoring it to my own creative style.
It was very successful.
This healthy Butternut Squash Soup recipe is really easy to prepare, very quick, and therefore very suitable for beginners to make
It is actually a butternut squash puree soup, so you will need a blender or food processor to make it. It has a slightly sweet and spicy flavor and can be eaten hot or cold. You might even like to try your butternut squash soup garnished with a dash of cream.
Butternut Squash is also known as Butternut Pumpkin in Australia and New Zealand. It has a hard outer skin which nevertheless peels easily. The pith inside is pale orange, turning to darker orange as it ripens. There is a hollow part inside which contains the pips, and these need to be removed before cooking.
Butternut Squash in its natural form
Butternut Squash is nutritious because it contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, fibre, manganese, potassium and magnesium
My sister actually brought round a whole pot of the soup for me recently when I wasn't well - I was quite touched
Cook Time for Butternut Squash Soup
Assemble the Equipment and Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup Before you Start
Equipment for Butternut Squash Soup:
- Medium-sized Saucepan
- Potato Peeler
- Kitchen Knife
- Chopping Board
- Tablespoon/Wooden Spoon
- Blender or Food Processor
This Blender is good for making a Soup Puree
Amazon best-seller, good for purees, ices and smoothies. It mixes, chops and blends, and has storage lids to protect the finished product.
I was given a Ninja this Christmas, and was delighted with how smooth it blends things - much better than my food processor.
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 tabkespoonful Olive Oil or Butter, Olive oil is healthier but butter tast
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice, Fresh or from a packet. 1/2 cup = 150 ml. or 1/4 pint
- 1 small pinch Sweet Chilli Flakes, optional
- 1/4 teaspoonful Grated Nutmeg or Nutmeg Powder
- 1 Clove
- 1/2 teaspoonful Turmeric, Optional
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 teaspoonful Crushed ginger, fresh, bottled or frozen (or 1/3 teaspoon of powdered ginger)
Onions, Butternut Squash and Ginger Cooking
Instructions for Making Quick Butternut Squash Soup
- Peel and chop the onion and fry it gently in the olive oil or butter in the saucepan. Don't let it go brown and crispy - the idea is just to soften it (called "sweating")
- Whilst the onion is cooking, peel the butternut squash with a potato peeler and cut it into chunks. Add it to the saucepan together with the spices. Cook and stir for 2 - 3 minutes, then add 2 cups of water, bring to the boil and simmer until the butternut squash is soft (10 - 15 minutes). Add the chicken stock cube and the orange juice. Then blend the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the saucepan.
- Add a little more water to make up the required quantity of soup. Butternut Squash Soup can be served hot for a deliciously comforting slightly sweet soup or served lukewarm or cold as a refreshing summer soup. For an optional garnish, you could add a swirl of cream, creme fraishe or plain thick yogurt after you have served your butternut squash soup into bowls, or sprinkle a small amount of aromatic fresh green herbs on the top.
Now enjoy your Butternut Squash Soup -
I'm sure you will agree this is the best butternut squash soup recipe you could find: it must be, because my family are all gourmets and my sister wouldn't have passed it on if it wasn't fantastically delicious!
Romance is in the Air
How do you rate this basic butternut squash soup?
You have probably seen Butternut Squash in the shops
Have you ever tried butternut squash?See results without voting
Here's a Popular Video of How to Make Butternut Soup, a Slightly Different Recipe from Mine
More of my Simple Recipes:
- How to Make Shepherds Pie
Easy to follow guide to how to make Shepherds Pie, with a little humor and advice about alternatives as well as a simple explanation of the bare bones of the recipe. Beginners will feel encouraged that they too can try this delicious Shepherds Pie re
- How to Make Easy Stuffed Eggplant or Aubergine
An easy recipe for crispy, aromatic Baked Stuffed Aubergine - a delicious vegetarian dish,which you can use for a starter, a main course, or as an accompaniment to meat
- How to Make Leek and Potato Soup
An easy recipe, suitable for beginners, telling you how to make delicious leek and potato soup. You only need leeks, onions and potatoes and a few common flavorings, so you won't be hard-pressed to find lots of obscure ingredients; and the method is
- How to Make The Perfect Omelette
How to make an omelette - a quick and easy way to cook cheese omelet or mushroom omelet or tomato and onion omelet - helpful for beginners, and lots of ideas for more seasoned cooks. I used to cook in a restaurant, and learned to make the perfect ome
- How to Make Bubble and Squeak from Leftover Vegetabl...
If you have a lot of vegetables, especially potato and greens, left over after your roast dinner, here is an easy way to use them up. Bubble and Squeak is a traditional British dish which is quick to make, and requires absolutely no culinary talent.
More by this Author
- 13How to Make Easy Stuffed Eggplant or Aubergine: a Recipe for Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian Food Lovers
An easy recipe for crispy, aromatic Baked Stuffed Aubergine - a delicious vegetarian dish,which you can use for a starter, a main course, or as an accompaniment to meat; also a quiz, poll and videos
If you have a lot of vegetables, especially potato and greens, left over after your roast dinner, here is an easy way to use them up. Bubble and Squeak is a traditional British dish which is quick to make, and...
Camembert Leek and Pancetta Tart is a rustic French dish, very quick and easy to make, and suitable for an inexperienced cook to have a try. Use ready-made puff pastry to save time and mess.