Quick and Easy Dinner with Cod Fish Entrée, Fingerling Potatoes and Peas
Cod fish entrée with fingerling potatoes and peas
What's for dinner?
When you come home at night after a hard day's work and you want something that is easy, yet healthful to prepare, then this is the recipe that you might wish to follow.
As most people are aware, fish is an extremely healthful source of protein depending upon which varieties you choose. They are also lower in calories, on average, than their counterparts from animals that live on the land.
Fresh and saltwater fish become fully cooked in small amounts of time compared to many other sources of protein like poultry, pork and beef...thus making them extremely attractive to cooks who wish to get something on the dinner table in a short amount of time without spending hours in the kitchen.
All you need are a few simple staples in your kitchen, and you can prepare a meal that is not only satisfying but easy on the budget and your waistline as well.
Following this photo are the simple directions for making the following cod fish entrée.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 1 pound of fish fillets serves 2 to 3 people
- fresh fish fillets, (Pacific coast cod used for this meal)
- all purpose flour, (small amount to dredge the fish)
- salt and pepper, to taste, added to the flour
- paprika, to taste, added to the flour
- beaten whole egg
Sautéeing the lightly battered fillets of fish in a non-stick skillet on top of the stove.
Instructions in preparing the fish
- Remove fish fillet from wrapper, pat dry using paper towel and double check to make sure that there are no bones.
- Add the seasonings to the flour and mix together well.
- Dredge the pieces of fish into the flour and pat between your hands to remove any excess flour. All you want is a light dusting of the flour on the fish.
- Next dredge the floured fish into the beaten egg and put into non-stick skillet heated with a little light olive oil and a pat of melted butter.
- Sauté until lightly browned and crusted on each side. Only takes a couple of minutes per side depending upon the thickness of the fish.
- Remove to heated dinner plate and serve with your choice of vegetables and a slice of fresh lemon.
Illustration of Icelandic Cod Fish
Fingerling potatoes being sautéed
Garlic Roasted Fingerling Potatoes (another preparation idea!)
Another recipe that sounds good! Pan Seared Cod Fillets with Creole Tomato Cream
My husband and I shop regularly at Costco where we purchase bags of mixed fingerling potatoes.
If you are not familiar with them, they are full grown small (aptly named) finger-like shaped and sized potatoes that come in three colors...a regular white to yellow skinned one, a red skinned one and a dark purple one. There may be other varieties as well, but this is the combination that is sold at Costco.
As small as they are, they can be washed and microwaved for about a minute or so where they become partially cooked and soft to the touch.
My husband then uses his hands to crush them a bit, flattening them out, and proceeds to sauté them in extra virgin olive oil, salting and peppering them to taste. Of course you can prepare them as you would any other type of potato in a variety of methods of your own choosing.
The smashed fingerling potatoes, along with some frozen peas which were also briefly microwaved made this cod fish entrée meal very simple, quick and easy to prepare.
Any firm fleshed white fish can be substituted for the cod that we used. Tilapia or flounder or halibut, even catfish would be good substitutes.
Served with a wedge of lemon and accompanied by a fresh salad and a glass of crisp white wine, we had this very meal for our dinner last night.
Try it for yourself and let me know how you like this. Once you see just how easy it is to add some healthful fish to your diet, you will be wanting to make similar meals more often for yourself.
Oh...and any leftovers of the fish make great fish sandwiches for the next day! Bon Appetit!
Please rate this recipe. Thanks!
© 2012 Peggy Woods
More by this Author
This delicious sweet bread recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser! When summer squash is in abundance you might wish to use some of it in this manner. Your friends will surely want the recipe!
Who would believe that with only 3 ingredients plus salt & pepper this easy chicken entree could become a favorite company dish! Directions & photos.
It rarely snows in Houston bringing out the child in everyone as this city just about shuts down for a day of play and wonderment.