Best Low Carb Egg Recipes: How To Make Huevos Rancheros
Huevos Rancheros with a Delicious Twist
Huevos Rancheros is a wonderful breakfast or brunch dish. It can also be a delicious light evening meal or a lunch entree.
I have had Huevos Rancheros many different ways but one restaurant I went to served it kind of like this recipe. I decided to go ahead and try to create the recipe on my own and I think this comes pretty close!
This is a little different version than most folks are used to because it is served with lettuce and other add-on ingredients but it is delicious.
Huevos Rancheros or As I Call Them - Huevos Cuevos
- Tortilla chips/multi-grain tortilla chips/flour tortilla chips/crispy tortilla pieces
- 1 can pinto beans (substitute black beans/kidney beans/any kind of beans)
- Shredded or torn red leaf lettuce (substitute any kind of lettuce)
- Salsa/pico de gallo (homemade or any other sturdy salsa)
- Sour cream - fat-free or lite
- Shredded cheese (light or reduced fat) – monterey jack or cheddar – or cheese substitute
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped green onion
- 1-2 eggs per serving poached (substitute scrambled)
- For each serving- into a nice-sized salad type bowl scatter tortilla chips in bottom of bowl. (See substitutions above - recipe below)
- Layer chopped lettuce over the chips.
- Warm beans in small pan on stove top or in microwave.
- For poached egg(s), set small frying pan of water to boil on stove. Place eggs one at a time in small coffee cup or small bowl to make sure they have not broken.
- When water is sufficiently boiling, reduce the heat so that it is just a simmer and slide eggs 1 at a time into the bubbling water. Make sure that the boiling stays at a simmer and then time the eggs to desired doneness. (This is water poaching the eggs - you may use any other method for poaching - for instance an egg poacher of any type.) Remove eggs when desired doneness has occurred with slotted spatula and set gently on plate.
- With slotted spoon, spoon up about 1/4 cup or so of beans and put atop chips in bowl.
- Add salsa, sprinkle with green onions, a dollop or so of sour cream, avocado if desired.
- Top all with poached egg(s) and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Serve with extra salsa, beans, chips, lettuce, green onions, sour cream, avocado.
This makes an excellent brunch recipe. It also makes an excellent light evening meal and you can be as creative with it as you would like substituting different types of tortillas, chips, beans, cheeses, salsas, etc.
It also works well with scrambled eggs - just do them as you would normally and then divide amongst the bowls. Egg substitute of course can be used in that case as well.
The recipe can also be modified and regular flour tortillas can be heated in the oven at 250 degrees and the ingredients rolled into a breakfast burrito. Add a strip of bacon and you have another wonderfully different breakfast treat!
Do It Yourself Baked Tortilla Chips
This recipe could not be any simpler - or more delicious. Try it with both corn and flour tortillas!
- 10 flour or corn tortillas - low-fat or thin - whatever kind you select just watch for baking time
- Nonstick baking sheets
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tortillas into wedges - usually 6 but it depends on the size of the tortillas. Cut in half, then proceed to cut into 2-4 more wedges again depending on size of tortillas.
- Arrange the wedges in a single layer on baking sheet - sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Bake until crisp and golden - 12 minutes probably at least for flour and perhaps 18 for corn - again though it depends on the thickness of the tortilla and the size of the wedges.
- Halfway through, switch the pans.
Audrey's Pico De Gallo
Great simple recipe to have on hand - this recipe makes at least 4 cups. If the juices start to run and you prefer a drier salsa/pico, you can simply pour off the juice.
- 1 onion chunked - white, purple or sweet onion
- 3-4 jalapeno peppers cut in half, ends removed, seeded (see below)
- 6 or so firm roma tomatoes, chunked (if you would like to drain on paper towels for a few minutes, some of the juice does run out here)
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro washed, spun dry, woody parts of stems cut off if desired
- Lime juice (optional)
- Cumin or other spice of choice
I use my food processor to make this because it is SO super fast and easy that way.
I also use rubber gloves (disposable) to cut and seed the jalapeno peppers as they will burn your fingers. If you desire a HOTTER pico de gallo, you can leave some of the seeds in but I remove the membranes and seeds completely. If you do not have fresh jalapeno peppers, you can substitute canned and drained jalapenos instead - just add a little and then add more to taste as they are generally more potent because they contain the seeds.
- In bowl of food processor, place the chunked onion, jalapenos, cilantro, and pulse to chop. It should not take long at all to dice the above ingredients to the desired chop.
- If your food processor bowl is not large enough to accommodate the chunked tomatoes here, use a spatula to remove the first mix to a bowl.
- Add tomatoes to the food processor bowl and pulse to desired size chop. With a spatula, remove the tomatoes and add to the jalapeno mixture.
- Add lime juice, salt, cumin or other spices, hot sauce to taste.
- Refrigerate and enjoy!
This is a much healthier alternative to dips and is a snap to make! And yes, you can make it without a food processor - you just must chop finely and mix all ingredients.
More Recipes For Huevos Rancheros
Egg Poachers To Buy Here On Amazon
Buy Cookbooks On Huevos Rancheros Here On Amazon
More Tools To Buy Here On Amazon
More Information And Variations
More Audrey Recipes
- Perfect Slow Oven-Roasted Roast Beef
- Quick And Easy Christmas Guacamole Dip Shaped Like A...
- How To Make Your Own Lunch Meat And Why It Is Better...
- Christmas Gift Idea For Gift Baskets - Homemade Heal...
morguefile.com This recipe is one of my favorites because it is so easy and it is so GOOD for you. I like to make a double batch and have on hand for our own family for the holidays but it would make a...
- Bread Pudding For Breakfast? You Bet - And Good For ...
morguefile.com Oh yes - this is a wonderfully put together recipe that you can even assemble the night before and bake in the morning. It is much like French toast but then more like - well, bread pudding! It...
- How To Make Breakfast Pizza
Pizza for breakfast? I thought ridiculous! However, I started making this back in the 1970s and 1980s when my kids were small and found that getting them to eat breakfast was a snap once I found creative...
More by this Author
Make a delicious family favorite from scratch - breakfast pizza. It's quick, it's easy and it's delicious.
This is a great version of a fantastically delicious quiche - Spinach Quiche. This is a favorite offering on breakfast and brunch menus and one of my personal favorites. This recipe is from the Everyday Gourmet...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.