Super-Quick Corn Chowder-- Vegan and Glutenfree
The (Flavour) Balanced Diet
Thai cuisine is particularly well-known for its complexity of at least three of four flavour types: salty, sweet, sour, and bitter. For some Western palates, this symphony of tastes might play out as a culinary cacophony.
Adults with strong, ingrained notions of how food must taste might want to opt out of this version of chowder and go for whatever is the preferred fast-food dish while others enjoy the medley of hot spicy (fresh ginger, Mexican Chili powder), sweetness (Peaches and Cream corn kernels, Yukon Gold potatoes, coconut milk), bitter (onion, garlic, chives), salty (umm... salt) and sour (a squeeze of lime).
Real Man Hot
If you were to choose an entree for your hard-working day's supper that you could make from scratch in less than an hour, that tasted better than--or as good as-- all your memories of Mom's most comforting starchy meal, and that provided your family with twice the nutrition of the same-cost meal at the local fastfood joint, would you try the recipe?
In our foodie household, nothing hits the spot like this particular recipe for fast-prepared corn chowder. For spiritual and esoteric reasons, we eschew chewing up animal products, but even our drop-in meat-eating friends rave about this dish and go back for seconds. It's just that good!
Invitation: The recipe we have developed might be fairly bland by many standards since I have a low heat tolerance (peppers like mild, seeds-removed-Jalapeno even do me in) but I encourage you to 'soup up' the recipe in a way that suits your particular likes and tolerances.
Warning: On the other hand, please have guests, spouses, and daredevil children desist from the macho pepper-scarfing experience that "real men" might be looking for when they hear "hot"-- such as in the video to the right.
Make it Yummy AND Healthy!
This recipe for quicky corn chowder is a crowd-pleaser. In putting it together we looked at how best to make it tasty (using the Thai 5-taste model we have included salty, sweet, sour, bitter and spicy) and quick to make and healthy to eat!
Please use organically-grown ingredients as much as you are able to because not only will you avoid GMOs and unpleasant, unsafe chemical residues, but you will notice that there really IS a taste difference when you eat organic. Corn is one of the most likely crops to be genetically modified so don't use cheaper, non-organically-grown corn for this recipe.
This recipe makes enough delicious soup for 4 to 6 meal-size servings.
Rate this Recipe!
- 2 Medium Onions, Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Thumb-size Ginger, Peeled, Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mexican Chili Powder
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Chives, Minced
- Wedges Fresh Lime
- 4 Cups Peaches and Cream Corn, Organic, Frozen or Fresh
- 1 Pound/454 Grams Yukon Gold Potatoes, Scrubbed, Chunked
- 1/2 Pound/225 Grams Carrots, Peeled, Chunked
- 1 Can/400 ml Coconut Milk
- Black Pepper, Salt, To Taste
- 4 Cups (or more) Water, Add to thin as needed
My Bad Boy- The Instant Pot
Don't Have an Immersion Blender? Get One!
- Measure the night before if you want to have a quick operation the day of the meal. Measure Mexican Chili Powder into small, snack-size ziplock baggy and put in fridge. Mince and store chives in a separate baggy in fridge.
- Peel carrots and chop them and the potatoes and store together in larger ziplock bag in fridge overnight until needed. Chop onions and mince garlic and ginger. Store overnight in a large glass mason jar or container with a glass or metal lid. Onions are "draw-ers" and will take in any toxins from plastics, if you are concerned about that.
- When you come home from work take all items out of fridge for supper and arrange on clear counter along with frozen corn, coconut milk, water, salt, pepper and lime wedges.
- Handy to have (but not essential) is an electric cooker like the Instant Pot, or a pressure cooker. You can also cook this all up in a heavy soup pot. For the Instant Pot, put everything except chives, limes and salt and black pepper into the pot, put on the lid, and select SOUP button. For the pressure cooker, put in all items except chives, limes, salt and pepper, and follow instructions (video below) for cooking. For the soup pot you might want to begin the process by saute-ing the onions, garlic, and seasonings in water, and then adding in the 4 Cups of Water and other vegetables and Coconut Milk. For the soup pot, bring to boil, lower temperature to second lowest level, and put lid on pot, simmering for about 25 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are cooked through.
- Using an immersion* blender stick, blend until smooth in pot. If you plan to use a food processor or blender, please be careful of doing too large of loads too hot with a lid on-- can cause a build-up of pressure and blow its top-- not pleasant. Best idea is to blend in small batches, or wait until the whole container is cooled down, which sort of defeats the purpose of having done everything in advance to prepare it quickly! But always put safety high up on the priority scale. *You can also use a potato masher as shown in the video below.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls. Sprinkle chives on each and give a wedge or two of lime to the diner. Alternatively, you might want to zest a lime and serve that as an option (for sour taste). Non-vegans might want to have a dollop of sour cream instead of the lime. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Vegan Soup in a Pressure Cooker
More by this Author
This article tells about how to make chia seed gel and how to use it in various recipes. Chia seeds are high in Omega 3, protein, calcium, and fibre, and are adaptable to most diets (such as gluten-free and raw vegan)....
4 recipes for delicious, nutritious, gluten-free porridge. two of the porridge recipes are traditional, sweet and hearty-- two of the recipes are for savory, comforting, healthy more exotic porridge. All will launch...
How can I get rid of the moles in my garden? This article looks at some "traditional" and historic ways of dealing with mole "pests" and some more natural current ways of managing this problem.