White Radish (Carrot) Cake Recipes - Hong Kong Style Dim Sum and Singapore Hawker Style
Steamed white radish cakes are served in most Chinese dim sum restaurants in Hong Kong. These soft and delicious white radish cakes are made from white radish or Japanese daikon. The ingredients are steamed and cooked in a steamer pot and then pan fried to give them a crispy coating on the outside and soft and juicy inside.
Recipe for White Radish Cake Dim Sum Style
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 30 min
- Ready in: 2 hours
- Yields: Serves 6 people
- 1.5 kg white radish or daikon, these are also known as long white icicles. Available from fresh produce markets.
- 500 grams rice flour
- 3 chinese sausages, available from Coles supermarket or Asian stores.
- 50 grams dried shrimps, washed and soaked.
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules, use fresh garlic if preferred
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots, can be substituted with onions if preferred
- 4 medium mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground peppper
- 2.5 cups water
- Wash, peel and grate all the white radishes. Put the grated radish into a wide frying pan and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the juice from the radish has evaporated. Add in salt and pepper just before turning off heat. Set aside to cool and prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut up the Chinese sausages, shallots and dried shrimps into small pieces.
- Heat up one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Add in sausages, shallots, garlic and dried shrimps and fry until fragrant. Set aside.
- Pour rice flour into a big mixing bowl and add in water. Mix well until there are no lumps of flour in the mixture. An easy trick is to pass the mixture through a sieve.
- Add in cooled radish and the rest of the fried ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into two portions and pour into two greased stainless steel containers.
- Add plenty of water into a steamer pot and bring the water to a boil before putting the radish in the steamer pot. Steam each container for 40-45 minutes on medium to high heat. Remove and set aside to cool before removing the radish cake from the container.
- Cut one of the radish cakes into 2 cm thick slices. Fry the slices on each side for a couple of minutes or until slightly brown. If you want them more crispy, fry until golden brown. Serve pan-fried radish cakes with tomato sauce, sweet sauce or chilly sauce.
- The radish cake in the other container can be stored in the fridge and consumed the following morning. Slice and pan fry as per previous instructions, and serve hot for breakfast!
Favourite Dim Sums
Recipe for Singapore Fried Radish Cake
This recipe is one of the popular dishes most tourists will find at the hawker food stalls in Singapore. I call it Singapore Hawker Style Fried Radish Cake but in Singapore, the locals named this recipe "Fried Carrot Cake" even though carrots are never used as ingredients in this dish.
To make this Singapore fried radish cake, just follow the instructions above from steps 1 to 7 for preparing the steamed radish cake. Then take about six slices of the radish cake and cut them into cubes.
Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Add in a teaspoon of garlic and fry until fragrant. Mix in a generous handful of bean sprouts and cook for about half a minute. Add in the radish cake cubes and fry until slightly brown. Add in one tablespoon of dark soy sauce and a lightly beaten egg. Mix and fry until the egg is just cooked.
Plate it up and garnish with chopped spring onions. Serve hot.
Can't get enough of exotic hot recipes? Try this Homemade Kimchi Recipe!
More recipes by the author
- Roasted Pork Belly with Crispy Crackling Skin
Recipe for the perfect roasted pork belly with crispy cracklings.
- Easy Healthy Watercress Soup Recipe
A recipe for watercress soup, it is full of healthy nutrients.
- Crispy Pork Rind Cracklings - Pork Chicharrón
Deep fried pork rind snacks.
- How to Make Salted Eggs (with Duck or Chicken Eggs)
Easy way to make your own salted eggs at home!
- DIY Pearl Milk Tea - Make Your Own Bubble Tea At Hom...
Craving for bubble tea? Here's how to make your own bubble tea drinks at home.
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls - A Healthy and Gluten Free ...
A quick and easy recipe for making delicious Vietnamese spring rolls served with dipping sauce.
- How To Make Curry Puffs Recipe
Curry puffs are popular snacks in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They are not only delicious to eat but easy to make, too. Check out these curry puff recipes here.
- How To Make Sweet Bread Buns
Enjoy your afternoon tea with these sweet soft and fluffy bread buns. Reward yourself with these freshly baked buns that are so easy to make and bake.
- How To Make Sweet Row Buns
You will love these freshly baked buns that are so easy to make and bake. Fill them with tuna, hot dog sausages or ham for lunch.
- How To Make Goat Meat Caldereta Recipe
Goat meat is easy to cook and taste really delicious and tender if the meat is cooked in the correct way. Here is an awesome goat meat caldereta recipe which has been a favourite dish in the family for many years.
- Quick Healthy Recipes with Soba
The quick and easy way to prepare delicious soba noodles with five ingredients or less.
© 2012 lady rain
More by this Author
Homemade recipe for mouth-watering hot chilly pickles!
If you like snacking on dried fruits, try making your own dried figs. They taste really great. This is how to make your own oven-dried figs.
Food takes less than 20 minutes to cook on the stove and the thermal cooker will do the rest of the cooking. Information on how to use the thermal cooker with recipes for easy and hearty meals.