Rainbow Shots Recipe
Rainbow Shots Recipe
Rainbow Shots are one of the neatest things I have seen on my Travels to Cabo San Lucas Mexico. We stayed at the Riu Santa Fe and one of the bar tenders started mixing ingredients into a stainless steel shaker and when he poured them out one by one they looked like a Rainbow. Freaking Amazing to me so of course I had to learn how to do it. Let me say this; I am going to give you a base recipe to make a 7 shot glass rainbow; however, this recipe is more a hands on experiment and it takes time to master. I studied and studied, watched videos and it still took me about half a bottle of vodka and orange juice before my Rainbow Shots looked anything like a rainbow. What I am trying to say is it's just as much technique as it is ingredients. Here are the basics, have fun and good luck.
- 1 ounce Grenadine
- 2 ounce Sweet and Sour
- 4 ounce Orange Juice
- 3 ounce Vodka
- 1/2 ounce Blue Curacao
How To Make Rainbow Shots
- I recomend to start using a clear Cocktail shaker or glass and then once you have mastered it move on to a stainless steel shaker so your guests cant see the layers and it's more of a suprise when you pour the rainbow.
- Gently pour in the grenadine without touching the side of the glass or splashing.
- Add 2 or 3 ice cubes gently without splashing
- take a spoon or ice scoop and gently pour the sweet and sour over the back of the spoon without splashing into the grenadine making a layered affect.
- Now pour the orange juice the same way over the back of the spoon gently.
- Add about 2 or 3 more ice cubes gently without splashing and then pour the vodka or Grey Goose again over the back of the spoon layering it. (I would not use Grey Goose unless you have already mastered this)
- Last is the tricky part, right now you may have what looks like a giant tequila surise and that is good. Listen up because this next step will make or break your rainbow shots
- Have your shot glasses ready in a line touching each other and have your cocktail shaker strainer ready. When you are ready to go take the Blue Curacao and pour about a 1/2 ounce or so qucikly but gently around the rim of the shaker, quickly put on your strainer and start pouring.
Pouring the Blue Curacao is where I made my mistakes over and over, if you pour it to deep and slow it will change the color of your whole recipe to a muddy river look. The same if you take to long to start pouring the shots after you put your strainer on. The blue curacao is heavy and starts to sink which is good so you can get your greenish color but you have a small window to make it work. I also have the best luck using chilled grenadine, orange juice and sweet and sour. The rainbow shots themselves are not that great, I have heard of people using Malibu or Parrot bay coconut rum verses vodka to give it a more tropical flavor. Good luck making your perfect adult rainbow recipe and feel free to share your experiences or tips on how to make them better, thanks for reading -Mike
More by this Author
Before I give you this complex whipped Vodka Root Beer Float recipe lets remember this is an adult version of a root beer float on ice so please keep it away from the children. This is so refreshing on a hot summer day...
Learn how to make this delicious drink.
The best around. Step by step instructions, Weight Watchers points, and instructional video. This is an easy must-serve.