Raspberry Fool Recipe - The Easiest Summer Dessert!
You’d be a fool not to make a raspberry Fool this summer.
OK – I’m sorry to come off a bit harsh here, but when you factor in just how good July raspberries taste and how incredibly easy this sophisticated looking dessert is to prepare – what other conclusion can one draw?!!!
Serve this in tall glasses at the end of a summer meal and be ready for applause.
Here is a variation of a raspberry fool I read about and promptly made last summer in Schrieber’s cookbook, “Rustic Fruit Desserts”. I have been dreaming about it ever since! The original recipe called for mascarpone (I used yogurt) and for Raspberry liqueur (I used Grand Marnier), for cinnamon (I don’t care for cinnamon all that much and so left it out) and was for 8 servings (I scaled it down to 4 or 5)
Raspberry Fool (makes 4 very generous of 6 regular servings)
- 3 cups of fresh raspberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tbls of Grand Marnier or triple sec (If you don’t have this, don’t worry about it – this will still taste great without!)
- ¾ cup of thick Greek yogurt, mascarpone cream or crème fraiche
- 1 and ½ cups of whipping cream
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the berries, the liqueur and the sugar. Mash the berries up a bit with a spoon and leave it all to sit and macerate together for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile, get out your whisk (or your mixer!) and whip the whipping cream until softly whipped (Don’t make butter here!). At this point, gently mix in the yogurt, mascarpone or crème fraiche and stir it to combine (you want to be gentle here so you don’t deflate your cream)
- Mix the berries and the juices that have collected into the cream and stir to combine roughly. Spoon this mixture into tall serving glasses and keep refrigerated until ready to serve (you can keep this in the fridge for a few hours without any problem)
Delicious, easy and a great taste of summer. Get out and eat those July raspberries while you can!
Berry Fool Making Techniques
More Raspberry Recipes
- No Canning Lazy Man's Raspberry Jam. 2 Ingredients a...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jchatoff/592883834/ There is just something so satisfying about a little daily harvest of raspberries. Waking up each morning ready to pluck off the day's ripe berries makes me...
- Raspberry Crisp Recipe
This is my special recipe for crisp. The topping is crumbly but still chewy, pleasantly sweet, the oats add a great texture, and it melts just a little during baking to make a delicious gooey layer with the fruit underneath. But the true star of this
- Delicious Gluten Free Desserts Raspberry Cheesecake
If you need to follow a gluten free diet because you are celiac (coeliac) or have a wheat gluten intolerance, you can still enjoy delicious desserts that taste so good, no-one would ever know they are gluten...
More by this Author
A recipe for gluten-free banana-lemon loaf that my mother makes. This cake is delicious, and you should try it even if you aren't avoiding gluten.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjuli_ayer/2950992676/ Nothing beats that apple pie kitchen smell on a cold Sunday afternoon, but not every Sunday afternoon has me wanting to make apple pie! Ah well, thankfully there are...
A lot of people have trouble with meat. They like the idea of a great steak, and they have a general notion that the more expensive the steak, the better it is…but more than that…who knows?! I...