Real Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs of uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1 lb of colby jack cheese
- 1 lb of extra sharp chedder cheese
- 1 lb of swiss cheese
- 1 lb of mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of milk
You will also need a large pot to cook the macaroni and an 8x9 pan for baking.
I buy the cheeses in the 1 lb blocks so that I can cut them into slices as thick or thin as I like.
- Start by cooking the macaroni.
- As the macaroni cooks you can preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cut the blocks of cheese into slices.
- After you drain the macaroni put a layer into your baking pan.
- Take some of all the different cheeses and layer that on top of the macaroni. (You may want to save some more of the colby jack and chedder cheese for on top. These cheeses tend to brown more than the others.)
- Follow steps 3 and 4 until you use the last of your cheese. (It may stick up from the top of the pan a little. That is normal.) More than likely it will be two layers of macaroni and two of cheese.
- Pour the 1/2 cup of milk over the macaroni and cheese, and then place into the oven.
- Check on your macaroni and cheese in about 15 to 20 minutes to see if the cheese has browned. (How brown it gets and how long you really want to leave it in is more of a personal preference. I just look to see if it's brown enough for me, but some may not like it quite as brown.)
Usually we don't make anything along with this, and we have leftovers for the next day. (There are 4 of us.)
My family loves this recipe. Since it isn't really the healthiest thing to eat (can be very greasy) I don't make it very often, but they consider it a special treat when I do make it.
If you try making this recipe differently I would love to hear from you about your results!
No comments yet.