Really Easy Light Lemon Cake Recipe
Really Easy Light Lemon Cake With Sticky Topping (Optional)
This lemon cake is ideal for kids, students or people who want instant results. It's light, yet has a great sticky lemon topping. The topping is optional. Most of the ingredients you've probably already got in your store cupboard. This is a fabulously refreshing and easy cake to make.
- 2 eggs
- 175g plain flour (sieved)*
- 175g caster sugar
- 150ml mlik
- 100g butter
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- The zest of one lemon
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Sticky Lemon Topping:
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar
- The juice and zest of 2 lemons
It's easier to work the ingredients if they're already at room temperature, the butter will be soft, so easy to use as it is.
Prepare your baking/cake tin by greasing it and lining it with greaseproof paper. This makes sure your cake doesn't stick. You can use any size/shape you want really. Sometimes I use a 1 pound loaf tin, sometimes a 9" square tin. For a Sunday Teatime Cake, I prefer a loaf tin and I slice the cake like a loaf, for a less formal Sunday picnic tea I prefer a cake tin and I cut the cake into squares.
Although I call them tins, I actually always use silicone loaf tins and silicone cake pans because they don't need any greasing and the cakes just come straight out!
Preheat your oven to 160°C
Mixing & Baking Your Lemon Cake
- Combine all the cake ingredients - you can do this by hand, but if you have a mixer then feel free to use it Don't overwork the mixture, as soon as everything's combined, you're done!
- Pour your mixture into your tin. Ensure it's level and try to avoiding splashing any onto the paper.
- Place the cake in your oven and cook at 160°C for 50-55 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and you're ready to top it. Leave it IN the cake tin for now .
Make The Sticky Lemon Topping
- Sift your icing sugar into a small saucepan, then combine it with the lemon juice.
- Bring the mix to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Continue boiling for a couple of minutes - until it forms a syrup.
- Immediately pour your syrup over the top of the cake. Let the cake absorb the syrup for about 15 minutes before removing the cake from the dish and letting it cool on a wire rack.
Simply mix up icing sugar with the lemon juice as it is and drizzle it over the top so it sets.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE6
Toad in the Hole is just Yorkshire Pudding with sausages baked in it. The basic Yorkshire Pudding mix can be used for sweet or savoury dishes simply by adding extra ingredients. This is an easy toad in the hole recipe.
Easy recipe to make a Quick & Easy Lasagne White Sauce in the microwave, or an easy Cheese Sauce using just 4-5 basic store cupboard ingredients.
New and existing market traders are always looking to find the best selling products for market stalls, in order to start up as a market trader, increase their existing turnover, or break out into new markets.