Reasons To Buy Organic Food For Your Family
Why Buy Organic?
Are you considering moving your family to an organic diet? Eating organic foods will positively affect their health for years to come. Firmly establishing these new habits will also impact the environment.
It is easier than ever to buy organic food. Currently, more than 3/4 of supermarkets have a health food section, or will include the organic versions of your favorite products side by side in the grocery aisles.
If you are not convinced yet, here are some great reasons to make the change and buy organic food.
Mommy Minute - Why Buy Organic Baby Food?
Best Reasons to Buy Organic
- Children are not little adults. Their little growing bodies are not able to handle and process excessive chemicals. Government regulations limit the amount of pesticides allowed in farming practice based on adult consumption. These levels are not safe for children, and unhealthy for adults.
- Pesticides used in farming have been clearly links to birth defects, nerve damage, cancer and genetic mutations.
- Fruits and vegetables contain the most vitamins and nutrients when the are picked close to full ripeness. Organic produced is transported shorter distances, which allows for picking at optimal ripeness. You reap the full nutritional benefits.
- The full natural flavor of organic food simply tastes better. This has been proven scientifically by tests conducted at Washington State University.
- Conventional farms practice mono-cropping, which entails planting the same crops on large area of land year after year. This practice results in a loss of minerals and nutrients in the soil. Chemical fertilizers are then used instead, killing wild life, necessary soil organisms and contaminating water. Fertilizers drift down stream and create dead zones in ocean environments.
- Organic farming promotes biodiversity. Buying organic and supporting organic farming promotes a less toxic planet.
- A study by the Cancer Institute found that farmers exposed to herbicides have an increased cancer risk (up to 6 times greater) than those who are not exposed.
- Non-Organic cow's milk contains 5 times more toxic pesticides than the organic equivalent.
Buy Organic : Resources
More by this Author
Are you a chile-head? Set your taste buds on fire with these favorite Mexican peppers and enjoy the endorphins!
Covering all the best of Japanese cuisine from sushi and sashimi to tempura and sweets. Learn how to make your favorites and what foods to eat for better health. Includes a guide beverages such as tea, Saki and Japanese...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE21
Clear and simple tips to finally get your financial records organized, including what to keep and what to shred.