Bear N Mom Recipes - Shrimp Chowder
Chowder is a basic recipe. The flavoring is what you put into the base to make your soup. In this soup we will be using cocktail shrimp, but you may use lobster (bisque), clams or fish. The flavor will be consistently creamed but with a different taste according to what you add. A few buttery crackers on the side and you have a hearty chowder.
Another way to serve this is by hollowing out a round loaf of bread and filling the hole with your soup. Any way you serve this it is a supreme dish and goes well on your Italian Christmas Eve table.
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Diced Celery
- 1 cup Diced Potatoes, small chunks
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 pound Shrimp, salad size
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Combine first 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir milk into flour and add to potato mixture with shrimp and butter.
- Cook on medium heat until thickened. Stir often to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pan
Chowders come in various flavors. You can substitute the shrimp with corn to make a corn chowder.
What makes these chowders so tasty is the combination of the cream and butter along with the potato to make a solid base.
More by this Author
Cooking tips for casseroles and main menu items
Old World Recipe for Croatian Nut Rolls as related to me by someone who baked these every Easter.
quick and easy corn chowder recipe
No comments yet.