Best Bread And Roll Recipes: How To Make Potato Bread And Potato Rolls At The Same Time
Potato Rolls and Potato Bread Make Both At Once
- 1 cup mashed cooked peeled baking potatoes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4-1/2 cups bread flour - DIVIDED
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 large eggs OR 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- Mix potatoes, milk, honey, and butter in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 2 minutes or until mixture is 110 degrees. Or heat on stove top and use a thermometer to get to 110 degrees.
- Stir with whisk until smooth.
- Spoon flour into measuring cup – measure 1-1/2 cups flour. Combine with yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add potato mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Add eggs or egg substitute and stir until combined.
- Add 2 cups flour to potato mixture, stir until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface – knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); or put into standing mixer with dough attachment or food processor with dough paddle and knead that way for 10 minutes.
- Add enough of remaining 1/2 cup of flour 1 tablespoon at a time to prevent dough from sticking to hands (or work bowl) – dough will feel sticky still.
- Place dough in large bowl coated with olive oil (or cooking spray), turning to coat the top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees) free from drafts for 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press 2 fingers into dough – if indentation remains, dough has risen enough).
- Punch dough down, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Work with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying).
How To Prepare Loaf Of Bread And Rolls
Potato Bread Loaf
- Roll 1 portion of the dough into a 14 x 7 inch rectangle on a floured surface.
- Roll up the rectangle tightly starting with short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets. Pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place loaf seam side down in an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Shape remaining portion into 9 portions and shape each into a ball.
- Place the balls in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Coat top of loaf and rolls with cooking spray – lightly spray.
Baking Directions For Both Loaf and Rolls
- Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees) free from drafts for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press 2 fingers into dough – if indentation remains, dough has risen enough)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until tops of rolls are browned and load sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove from pans – cool on wire racks.
18 servings (serving size = 1 roll or 1/9 of a loaf) – Calories 168.
Buy These Tools At Amazon
How To Make Dinner Rolls
How To Shape The Loaf
More Links And Things That Go Well With Potato Bread And Rolls
- How To Cook A Holiday Ham
Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's we always have ham for one of the three holidays. It makes a nice change from poultry and beef. There is always a lot left over for making bean or pea soups and...
- Fall Classic - Crockpot Beef Stew
At this time of year, soups and stews are a must for me because I love the ability to add so many good-for-you vegetables and enjoy the delicate aromas that slow-cooking lend the house. Nothing feels better...
- Kate's Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
Ingredients 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 bunch fresh sage, leaves finely chopped Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 large onions, finely chopped 1 loaf...
- Tender Roast Beef
When I really want to pamper guests who love good food, I use a good roast beef ribs tasty, tender and juicy enough. For meals every day, I turn instead to more affordable roasts such as round or sirloin tip....
- How to Make Homemade Noodles
Homemade noodles are so good: soft, tasty, and satisfying. Fresh pasta offers a completely different texture and taste experience. Learning the art of pasta making means adding a little something different to the menu.
- Perfect Homemade Bread 10 Tips to Improve Homema...
We all know that using whole grain in our diet is really good for us, right? I used to think that eating whole grains and all that healthy food was comparable to eating cardboard. Well, I've come up with some...
- How to make bread
It's one of the things we often end up eating every day. Conveniently, bread is also rather simple to make. There is such a variety of different breads in the world that it is exciting to think about all the options open to you that you can create ri
More by this Author
I originally found this idea in a 2009 Cooking Light magazine but since then, I've used it several ways and made several adjustments to it as suggested below. However, the fact stands that the dough recipe itself...
How to make a fantastic loaf of French bread from scratch.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.