Recipe: Gluten-Free Pie Crust
How to you like this recipe?
Before You Start
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Total time 20 minutes
You will need a 8-inch pie pan.
Sweet rice flour is also called "glutinous rice flour" due to its stickiness, but is absolutely celiac-friendly.
- ½ cup shortening or butter
- 1 ½ cups sweet rice flour
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp cold water
- Combine salt, sugar and rice flour;
- Cut shortening into flour mixture;
- Add water;
- Continue working dough until soft - be careful not to overwork the dough or it will fall apart;
- Place dough in pie pan and press into the bottom and sides;
- Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork to prevent air pockets from bubbling up;
- Put in oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown;
- Remove from oven and let cool.
This versatile crust can be used with your favourite quiche or pie filling.
More by this Author
Good gluten free treats are hard to find. This review explores various aspects of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix to discover if it's worth the cost and effort of making.
A healthy substitute to pancakes, wraps or sandwich bread, these gluten-free crepes are perfect for any mealtime.
When Facebook introduced their new Timeline set up in the spring of 2012, deactivated accounts repopulated our Friends Lists. This quick tutorial will show you how to easily remove those unwanted numbers.