Recipe: Grass Jelly Honey Drink
As a kid growing up in the Philippines, one of the pleasures we enjoyed there, considering we were part of the lower middle class there, is eating and drinking. One drink I particularly remember buying whenever I walked back from school or from the market is a drink that used grass jelly as one of its main ingredients.
I remember the cool drink and the texture of the grass jelly as I drank and felt some of the jelly cubes enter my mouth. The jelly has a hint of bitterness, but it was mainly sweet. It is smooth and firm as a nicely cooled Jello gelatin. Back then, they used melted brown sugar to provide the sweetness.
In my modified version of this drink, I use real honey instead.
With summer upon us, it's the perfect drink to help cool you down.
- 1 cup Water, water at room temperature
- 2 spoons cubed grass jelly, any brand will do
- 1 or 2 spoons real honey, any brand will do
- 6 cubes ice
- Cut up the grass jelly in cubes and save it in a plastic container.
- Fill a glass with about a cup to a cup and a half of room temperature drinking water.
- Mix in about two or three spoonfuls of the cubed grass jelly. You can be as generous or as skimpy as you wish. It is up to you.
- Mix in one or two spoonfuls of real honey.
- Stir the mixture until the honey is mostly dissolved.
- Add ice to help cool the drink down; the cooler the better.
- Done! Enjoy.
The video below shows you how easy it is to mix this drink. You can mix one serving in less than 2 minutes.
Amazon Sells Grass Jelly
Because the drink uses honey, your body can process it a lot slower compared to plain sugar, which if not used right away will turn to fat quickly.
And if you get real grass jelly, the drink will have a bit of protein. The good thing about real grass jelly is that it doesn't have fat; however, If you get imitation grass jelly it will not have protein, and it will have fat. So get real grass jelly.
If you need a source of energy, this is one way to get it while enjoying a cool refreshing drink.
More by this Author
If you are studying martial arts, you are learning a lot. What you learn give you confidence in yourself, especially in terms of self-defense. However, you'll find that you'll probably never ever use the self defense...
To properly understand what you need to do to your computer in order to truly figure out what is slowing down your computer, you need to understand computer performance fundamentals. When you do, you will know what and...
There are 6 tenets in the martial arts I study. Tenets are basically general guidelines for how one should live. They are as follows: Courtesy Integrity Perseverance Self-control Indomitable Spirit Victory...