Jalapeno Poppers "On the Half Shell"- A Simple and Spicy Recipe that is Easy to Make
A Great Appetizer Recipe
This recipe has been one of our favorites that we have servec at parties and small gatherings for many years.
The "Spicy food Lovers" at your party migrate right to this popular recipe as soon as they smell them coming from the oven.
It's a recipe that's very easy for anyone to make and the best part of all is that you can make these Jalapeno Poppers days ahead of time, several days even.
By making them ahead, when the day of the party arives, you just take them with you, and pop them into the oven.
Then after around 20-30 minutes take them out, transfer them to a serving tray and serve these great and spicy treats to everyone, piping hot.
Jalapeno Poppers - Prepared and Ready to be Cooked
Prepare yours ahead of time.
You can make this recipe and then keep them in the fridge for up to several days before you need them.
Use fresh Jalapeno's
Hot peppers can vary widely in their flavor and the level of heat they have, when used in a dish.
Whenever possible find fresh grown Jalapeno's to use in your recipes. Farmer's Markets are a great source for fresh Jalapeno's when they are "in season".
At other times of the year what you see in the supermarkets can come from almost anywhere in the world. Ask the person running the vegetable section of your supermarket where theirs are grown. They should know the source of all of the foods they sell.
When selecting your Jalapeno's make sure they are;
- smooth- skinned and not wrinkled,
- firm all over,
- and if squeezed firmly, their skin should not give to the pressure until they seem to "crack".
- 24 medium Jalapeno Peppers, fresh
- 8 oz. Creame Cheese
- 8 oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 lb. Breakfast Sausage Hot
- 1/2 tbs. Cayenne Pepper
Make a nice Spread out of the excess
If you have any excess meat and cheese mixture after you have made your Jalapeno Poppers, consider rolling it into a ball, refrigerate it and serve it with crackers as a spicy spread.
- Slice the Jalapenos in half, remove stem, and separate seeds to use later.
- Place the Sausage and Cayenne Pepper in a frying pan and cook, constantly breaking up the sausage, until done.
- Cool and drain grease from the sausage mixture
- Place all of the ingredients together in a bowl and mix together well
- At this point, add seeds as desired to the mixture as desired for extra Heat, and mix together well.
- Fill individual Pepper halves with the mixture, and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cover the loaded Peppers and place in the Fridge until ready to cook and serve.
- When ready to serve, place cookie sheet into a preheated oven at 350F and cook until cheese is bubbly. (approximate. 20-30 minutes)
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: 48 Poppers
Rate my Recipe for Me!
Nutritional Content of Jalapeno Poppers
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 13 mg||4%|
|Sodium 121 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Scoville Rating for Jalapeno Peppers
The Scoville ranking system which provides comparative data on the "spicy heat' of Jalapeno Peppers lists the typical Jalapeno at being from 1000 to 4000 BTU.
NOTES for the Chef:
- Kick the recipe up by adding chopped red peppers or even a Hot Sauce such as my favorite, brand, Cholula. Add a few drops to the meat mixture before you cook it or if you test the meat and cheese mixture and you think it needs a little more heat, add a few drops over the Poppers..
- Mince and add 2-3 cloves of Garlic to the meat mixture, before cooking it, if you want to kick the flavor up even more.
Football Finger Foods
© 2011 Don Bobbitt
More by this Author
A great collection of Recipes and ideas for using Yellow Squash. These recipes are simple, easy and designed to help you use all of those extra in-season Squash, at your leisure.
Hot Green Pepper Jelly! This is great old recipe for this famous and fantastic tasting Jelly that everyone loves. It is a simple recipe and easy to make.
RVs are big animals, and require a special attention when they get dirty. Read this and you will get some great ideas on how to keep your RV clean, cheaply and efficiently. It includes tips and planning methods that...