Split Pea Soup French Canadian Recipe
There are many variations on how to make Pea Soup, French Canadian Pea Soup and Split Pea Soup. You can use either green or yellow peas for the following recipe. The traditional Quebec pea soup is made with yellow peas. I just use what I have as they both taste the same to me.
- Ham Bone with a bit of meat left on it
- 2 onions diced
- 3 cups of green or yellow split peas rinsed
- 10 cups of water
- 3 TBS. dehydrated chicken broth
- 2 shakes of fine sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 –5 garlic cloves pressed
- Place the ham bone in a soup pot and add ten cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Set burner to medium heat and let the bone cook for about ½ hour.
- Remove the bone and cut the meat off. Chop the meat into bite sized pieces.
- Add onions, split peas, ham bone,and chopped ham into the water.
- Add salt, pepper chicken broth, and stir. Bring to a boil, then turning the heat down to medium cook for 60 - 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
- The last fifteen minutes of cooking remove the bone, add the pressed garlic cloves and stir.
- Serve with thick slices of French bread and a salad or eat all on its own. ENJOY!
Does this sound good?
Do you like pea soup?See results without voting
I prefer to use the boxed chicken broth, but today I was out of it so I used the dehydrated. If you do use the boxed or canned broth just decrease the amount of water that you use.
This soup freezes really well and many times I will double the amount I make so that I have soup on hand for boxed lunches. The ZipLock bags work great for this and you can pre-measure how much soup may want to re-heat to have for a lunch or to put into a thermos.
Sometimes I will add chopped carrots to the soup while it is cooking.
More by this Author
A delicious authentic Lithuanian recipe for cold soup that is satisfying on a hot summers day. Easy to follow recipe with pictures.
Recipe for potato bacon soup that is just like Tim Hortons or even better. Easy and fast to make.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.