How to Make Onion Rings in Batter Mix
Onion Rings in Batter Mix Recipe
Step by step instructions with photos for making homemade Batter Mix.
In this article you will learn a basic batter mix recipe. Once you have made the batter you can create great homemade food.
This Batter Mix can be Covered on lots of different Foods like
- Onion Rings
- Potatoes and cabbage
- Potatoes and onions
How to Freeze your Onions Rings
You can also cover the above foods in bulk and cover them with the batter and freeze them.
There is nothing nicer than being able to go to the freezer and use you own creations to add to your dinner.
Homemade recipes are cheaper and you know they have been prepared hygienically by yourself.
So if you want to see how to make fresh tasty onions rings covered in crispy batter take a look at my recipe below.
Ingredients for Batter Mix
- 2 large cups Flour, self raising, plain, all purpose
- 2 meduim Eggs
- 1 cup Milk, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Few shakes Salt, as preferred
- Few shakes Pepper, as preferred
- Other seasoning
- Prep time: 10 min
- Ready in: 10 min
- Yields: Makes enough batter to quarter fill a bowl
- Pour the flour into a bowl
- Add salt and pepper and any other seasoning you wish
- Add the two eggs
- Pour the oil into the bowl
- Mix in well with a fork
5. Pour in the milk and mix making sure there are no lumps
Mixture should be sticky but not too thick. See photo
You want the batter mix to stick to the food and not run off it
Your basic batter mix is now ready to use.
Batter Mix and Onion Rings
How to Make Onions Rings with Homemade Batter
- Batter mix as above
- 5 medium onions
- Oil for chip pan
Prepare the onions
- Cut the ends off each onion
- Peel the skin
- Put each one under the tap of running water. This will stop you from getting the vapours in your eyes.
- Slice the onions into medium bits. Some of these slices with come apart especially near the end but you can still use them
- Heat up the oil in the chip pan.
- Add a few rings to the batter mix.
- Turn over with a fork to cover with the mix.
- Put these into the hot oil.
- Cook until brown which will be less than a minute.
Do not overcook them as you want to use them for freezing. When they are taken out of the freezer for the meal they will be cooked from frozen until brown and crispy
- While these are cooking prepare the next lot.
- Some of the rings will come apart in the batter. Leave them there
- Have a couple of plates ready to place the cooked onions rings on
- Continue to cover the onions with the batter and fry them.
- You will have a lot of strips of onion that have fallen off.
- Cover these with the batter and add to the hot oil
- These will only take a few seconds to cook as they are smaller
- Once all the onion rings are cooked allow them to cool down for an hour
- Take some freezer bags and add a few to each bag.
- The five medium onions in these photos made enough for three bags of onions rings.
The onions rings above are quick to make but they are a little bit messy. The oil will have to be changed after you cook them. But this is the beauty of this recipe. You can make them in bulk and freeze them.
Now that you can see how easy it is to make a batter mix you can enjoy coming up with new recipes for it
Chicken Dips in Batter
- I usually get free range chicken breasts for this recipe.
- I put the chicken and a cut onions in tin foil and cook in the oven.
- I let these go cold.
- Then I make the batter and cover pieces of chicken in oil.
- I also do this in bulk and freeze.
The children love these and at least you know they are eating good meat prepared by you.
Fish in Batter
For myself I love Ray, called Skate in some countries.
- I fry this and do the same as above but in larger pieces.
- Of course your favourite fish can be covered in your own batter too.
Mashed Potatoes in Batter
I really love these. They are great for breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper.
- I cook a pot of potatoes and mash them.
- Leave to go cold and then flatten them out into small pieces on a tray.
- Leave them in the fridge until the morning.
- Cover in batter as above and freeze.
- Great instead of chips, with a fry up for breakfast or as a snack with a fried egg or beans.
Mashed Potatoes and Onions or Cabbage in Batter
- I make the same potatoes and add sliced onions to the mash and mix together.
- I also do the same with cabbage.
- The cabbage has to be cooked first though.
Sausages in Batter
- You can use either beef, pork or vegetarian sausages.
- Cook the sausages before hand and allow to cool.
- Cover with the batter and fry for a minute until the batter is brown.
- Allow to go cold and freeze.
So enjoy creating new and different dishes with this home made batter mix.
All images are the copyright of L.M.Reid unless otherwise stated
Freezing the Onion Rings
Onion Ring Recipe
Batter Mix Recipe
More by this Author
Best Scones Recipe. How To Make Scone Recipes with step by step instructions and photos.
How to peel and chop onions with no tears. Best way to cut onions without crying. Remove smell and taste from chopping board
Titanic Passengers who died and those who survived on the ship Titanic when it sank. Titanic 1st, 2nd, 3rd class passengers