Recipe for Migas
Have You Tried Migas?
Migas (pronounced mee-gahs) is a traditional Mexican recipe that combines corn tortillas with scrambled eggs and spices. The recipe is rich in flavor and quick and easy to make. I have often made this recipe for my family for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
When I was a child my mother often made migas for Sunday brunch after mass. My father added his homemade salsa. This recipe is reminiscent of what my mother served. I have added measurable amounts for the spices she never measured. Enjoy!
- 4 corn tortillas, 2 per person, white or yellow corn
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2-4 Tbsp sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
How to Cook Migas
Use a Stainless Steel Skillet
10 years ago I purchased a set of Wolfgang Puck stainless steel cookware. I absolutely love it because it heats and cooks evenly. Clean up is also a breeze. I recommend this cookware to everyone. You will LOVE it!
- Finely chop onion and cut corn tortillas into approximately 1 inch squares.
- Crack eggs open into a bowl and whisk gently as you would for scrambled eggs.
- Finely chop fresh cilantro.
- Measure spices together in a small bowl.
- Measure 2-4 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add chopped onions and corn tortilla pieces. Saute until onion is translucent and corn tortillas are soft. Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs and spices. Stir gently to mix.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until eggs are firm.
- Top with shredded cheese and remove from heat.
- Slice 1 tomato and 1/2 of an avocado on 2 serving plates.
- Add 1/2 of migas to each plate. Serve and enjoy!
Prepare for Sauteing
Before heating the oil in your skillet finely chop the onion and cut the corn tortillas. This recipe cooks quickly. It is best to have your ingredients ready before you get started!
Heat Oil in Skillet Over Medium High Heat
Use just enough oil for sauteing onion and corn tortillas. 1 Tbsp is enough for this recipe. Your migas will not be greasy but will be full of flavor!
How to Serve Migas
Toppings for Migas
Migas are wonderful plain or with toppings. Some common toppings I would suggest are:
- pico de gallo
- fresh cilantro
- Louisiana hot sauce
Boiled, Scrambled or an Omelet? Oh MY!
What is your favorite to cook eggs for breakfast?See results without voting
More by this Author
Typically made with white rice, the Spanish rice can be easily made with wholegrain brown rice. Adapted from my mother's recipe, this recipe for Spanish Brown Rice is simple and delicious!
Hash brown potatoes are a traditional breakfast favorite and are super easy and quick to make. Try this perfect-every-time-no-fail recipe to learn how to make beautiful crispy golden hash browns!
Learn useful strategies for coping with a lack of motivation if you are experiencing depression.