Vegetarian Recipe for Veggie Cheese Pie
Rating for Veggie Cheese Pie
A Garden Green Vegetable Main or Side Dish
I love this dish so much, that when Spring comes I can hardly wait to buy some tasty baby dark green leafy spinach and stuff it into a pie dish.
It takes about an hour to make and by that time, you can eat. It is usually piping hot out of the oven so be wise and let it cool down a bit. Then... attack! ! ! Nice with a glass of light beer. It's a great midnight snack too. Delicious freshly baked, also good out of the fridge. And now, for the directions....
A great pick me up
- 2 cups Fresh ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 3 cups Fresh baby spinach, soaked in water, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 medium sized eggplant, rinsed and sliced into 1/2
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes (or other), diced and seasoned
- 1 stick Butter (preferred), melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 package filo dough (tiny), prepared and ready to use
- 1 zucchini may be substituted, for the eggplant if desired
How to make your delicious spring time veggie pie
- Prepare the pan. A glass casserole dish or shallow metal pan may be used. Coat the pan with melted butter and layer two or three pita dough sheets into the pan, half in and half out. Now we will begin to fill it up with vegetables.
- Sliced eggplant needs to be softened in a butter or olive oil coated skillet. Watch carefully, then should be cooked 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Let cool then place half of them on the lowest level of the pan. This is your first vegetable layer. Add a sheet of filo dough, put a little butter with the back of a fork or a cooking brush, and continue layering.
- Mix the chopped spinach with a couple of shakes of olive oil. Add half into the pie dish followed by pita dough and butter. The third layer will be chopped tomato combined with the fresh cheese. Mix well then add half the tomato and cheese mixture with oregano and salt. Add filo and butter and 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, if desired. Now repeat the entire layering procedure, from eggplant to the Parmesan.
- Now it's time to wrap it up. First, set the oven for 325 Fahrenheit, or 180 degrees Celsius. Add another slice of filo dough and butter, and close the top, with more butter and a little Parmesan if desired. Paint generously with butter.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then let uncover for a little golden color. It is done if a knife comes out clean in the center. Cool on a rack then slice when it is close to room temperature.
A nice round semi-deep pie dish for baking
What do you think of meatless meals?
Do you eat veggie meals on occasion?See results without voting
More by this Author
Fish stew, simmered in a tomato and onion based broth on the stove is the basis of a great Dalmatian (Croatian traditional meal. Served with bread or polenta, it's a classic one pot meal that takes about an hour to...
Pommes Frittes - Fried Potato - when cleaned and cut into finger shapes are normally called French Fries. But are they really? Belgians claim that Frites is their specialty, and they aren't joking. There are...
Bake a batch of delicious, homemade chocolate chip cookies today. Not difficult, it can be fun with children as helpers. A serving of two cookies is 186 calories - so bon appetit!